Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 8. — Copy of letter from William Fox, Esq., to His Honor the Superintendent of Nelson]

No. 8.

Copy of letter from William Fox, Esq., to His Honor the Superintendent of Nelson.

Nelson, February 5th, 1848.

Sir,

I have the honour to enclose a copy of a letter received by Colonel Wakefield, the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company, from the Private Secretary of the Lieutenant-Governor, intimating that His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief had given his assent to a proposition made by me on behalf of the land purchasers in this settlement, in reference to a reduction of the number of the Native reserves, proportionate to that proposed in respect of the whole settlement. The use of the word "Township" in Mr. Gisborne's letter has given rise to a doubt whether His Excellency understood that the application was intended to extend to suburban sections, which it was, and whether his assent was intended to go so far. I am not aware of any ground why they should not be included in the reduction, but I think it a matter of very little consequence, as, of course, only the worst sections would be rejected, and if it is likely to create any misunderstanding with the Natives, it had perhaps better not be done.

My object in calling your attention to it, is to request you to ascertain His Excellency's intention before he leaves Nelson.

I have, &c.,

William Fox,
Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company.

His Honor the Superintendent, Nelson.

Enclosure in No. 8.
Copy of letter from the Lieutenant-Governor, to the New Zealand Company's Agent.

Private Secretary's Office, Wellington, January 21st, 1848.

Sir,

I have the honour by the direction of the Lieutenant-Governor to inform you that His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief has expressed his approval of the assurance conveyed to you in the Lieutenant-Governor's letter of the 25th October last, to the effect that the Native reserves of Nelson should be subject to the same conditions as the sections of settlers, with reference to the arrangements contemplated for the reduction and concentration of that township.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
Private Secretary.

Colonel Wakefield, Principal Agent New Zealand Company.