Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 6. — Copy of letter from Lieutenant-Governor Eyre, to Colonel Wakefield

No. 6.
Copy of letter from Lieutenant-Governor Eyre, to Colonel Wakefield.

Wellington, October 25th 1847.

Sir,

I have the honour to inform you that having had under consideration the following documents (Mr. Fox, to Colonel Wakefield, 14th August, 1847; with evidence from Mr. Domett, &c., to Mr. Fox, 30th July, 1847), which you personally left with me on the 21st instant, I have thought it right, as the adjustment of the limits of the two Provinces has not yet taken place, and Nelson is at present under the Auckland or Northern division, to forward them to His Excellency Governor Grey.

Understanding, however, that it is of importance to obtain an early reply, so that the Nelson settlers may proceed with the arrangements in progress for the re-distribution of the town and accommodation sections, I have no hesitation in assuring you, on behalf of the Local Government, that they will be ready to allow the Native reserves to be subjected to the same conditions as the sections of the settlers, and to agree that only such of them be retained as will be proportioned to the altered extent of the Nelson settlement at the rate originally reserved.

The determining, however, which of the sections are to be retained, and which are to be given up, must of course be decided by the officer of the Government nominated to that duty.

I have, &c.,

Edward John Eyre.

Colonel W. Wakefield, Principal Agent New Zealand Company.