Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Abstract of Population

Abstract of Population.

Place. Men. Women. Children. Totals.
Males. Females.
Aorere, Mitiwai 25 22 8 13 68
" Ngatitama 12 8 2 2 24
Pariwakaho 2 5 1 8
Takaka Ngatirarua 3 6 1 10
" Ngatitama 18 11 2 1 32
Motupipi Ngatirarua 6 5 2 2 15
" " 10 6 3 1 20
Totals 76 63 17 21 177

At Motupipi my mission may be said to have terminated, inasmuch as none of the land between that place and Sandy Bay (vide the New Zealand Company's plan) has been surveyed, but between Takapu, in Massacre Bay, and Anapai Bay (both inclusive), which latter place is just as you round Separation Point and where Tasman's Gulf begins, there are various reserves and cultivations, which, as it was all in my way homewards, and as it might possibly save future expense to the Government, I thought it as well to visit, and to adopt the same plan with them as I had pursued elsewhere, and in the event of the New Zealand Company desiring to have that district, I caused the accompanying Plans Nos. 4 and 5 to be prepared, which for the sake of reference I have denominated the wainui reserves, commencing at Point Burgess, and terminating at Anapai Bay; in which valley called Wainui, I beg to suggest that the block of 200 acres, coloured yellow (the old reserves being tinted pink), should be set aside for the people of that district, who are of the Ngatitama race, and as to whom I subjoin a statement of the contents of their present reserves and population.

I ought to observe that these Natives deny having received compensation from the New Zealand Company, and they look for payment before they will allow the Company to survey the land; however, it seems to me to be of very little consequence to the Company, as beyond the block I have set off in the Wainui Valley, there is very little other available land in the whole district, and very few inducements for European cultivators to occupy it.