Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 51. — Alexander Mackay, Esq., to C. Davie, Esq

page 343

No. 51.
Alexander Mackay, Esq., to C. Davie, Esq.

Christchurch, March 2, 1871.

Sir,—

With reference to our conversation of yesterday, concerning the reserve of four acres one rood, made at Little river by the Provincial Government, under the impression it was the site of old Maori graves, of which it now appears there was no foundation for, and as the land has never been formally handed over to the Natives, or in any way used by them, and from its shape, and the manner in which it is intersected by the Little River road, is useless for cultivation, I would beg to recommend that the reserve should be abolished, and a sufficient area given, to include the site of an old pah at the bottom of Lake Forsyth, subject to the road shown on the district plan.

The land there I am aware is of very inferior character, but, it would serve very well as a fishery encampment, for which purpose the Natives have long been desirous of acquiring it, independent of their attachment to it from other causes.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

C. Davie, Esq., Chief Surveyor, Christchurch.