Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 4. — Copy of letter from William Fox, Esq., Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company at Nelson, to Colonel Wakefield

No. 4.
Copy of letter from William Fox, Esq., Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company at Nelson, to Colonel Wakefield.

Nelson, January 28th, 1845.

Sir,

Referring you to my despatch of 25th January, 1845 (No. 56), relating to a Native aggression, and the means adopted by me to repress it, I have now to inform you that on Saturday last, H.M. Ship "Hazard" arrived here, on her way from Wanganui to Wellington, and yesterday morning Major Richmond, accompanied by the Police Magistrate of this place, Mr. Forsaith, the Government Interpreter, and myself, visited Wakapuaka in one of the boats of that vessel. We found Paramatta at his pah. At first he obstinately persisted in his assertions that he had not sold the Valley, and that the plan shown him was a forgery. He was then invited to accompany us to the boundary line, but refused, on which we took with us his brothers, Emanu and Etera, with one or two other Natives, to whom we showed the line, and Mr. Forsaith informed them that the Government would maintain it as laid down. On returning to the pah we found Paramatta's tone altered, and, after a little more conversation perceiving that his followers did not coincide with his view of the case he yielded and gave a solemn pledge to abide by the boundary laid down by me and confirmed by Government. Major Richmond informed him that for the present his housebreaking and robbery would be overlooked, but that they would be kept hanging over his head, and if he did not keep faith respecting the boundary, he would be punished for those offences. He wished he had made compensation for the acts alluded to, but it was considered prudent to keep the charge against him alive as a security for his good behaviour.

I trust that the result of these measures will be to put an entire end to all troubles with the Natives in Blind Bay.

I have, &c.,

William Fox,
Resident Agent.

Colonel William Wakefield, Principal Agent New Zealand Company, Wellington.