Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 15. — Copy of letter from the Colonial Secretary, to His Honor the Superintendent of Nelson

No. 15.
Copy of letter from the Colonial Secretary, to His Honor the Superintendent of Nelson.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington, August 5th, 1848.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 25th ultimo, respecting instructions issued to the Board of Management of Native reserves, I am directed by His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, to state that it was of course intended that your Honor should act at Nelson, with respect to leases, in the place of the Lieutenant-Governor. This will apply as well to leases of public reserves as of Native.

With respect to the passages from my letter of the 8th of July, quoted by your Honor, I am to state that for the present your Honor can substitute the term "Superintendent" for that of "Lieutenant-Governor," and so also with respect to the reports required in that letter from the Board. The other passage in which the phrase occurs, relates to proposals for applications of the funds for the benefit of the Native race, and, as in Wellington, these are to be laid previously before the Executive Council of the Province, it appears only consistent that the same should be done with respect to proposals for such applications of the funds at Nelson. But this need not be made to apply to trifling expenses for the above-named purposes, and your Honor's discretion will decide when it is advisable, and when not. It is hoped that these explanations, and the instructions contained in my letter of the 21st June last, will be found sufficient for the guidance of your Honor and the Board of Management.

I have, &c.,

Alfred Domett,
Colonial Secretary.

His Honor the Superintendent of Nelson.