Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Copy of letter from the Acting Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company, to the Board of Management of the Native Reserves, Nelson

Copy of letter from the Acting Resident Agent of the New Zealand Company, to the Board of Management of the Native Reserves, Nelson.

New Zealand Company's Office,
Nelson, July 11th, 1848.

Gentlemen,—

I take the earliest opportunity of calling your attention to the debt due to the New Zealand Company from the Native Land Trust in this settlement.

In 1843, the late Captain Wakefield, as Agent for the Company, advanced to the Bishop of New Zealand, then the acting trustee for the Natives, the sum of £200 for the purpose of erecting a Native hostelery, which was afterwards built accordingly. It was intended at the time to have secured the debt, with 10 per cent. interest, on the Native reserves, and the money appears to have been paid over expressly on that condition. After it had been paid over, technical difficulties were discovered to exist in the way of such security, and none has ever been effected, the debt still remaining, with an arrear of the whole of the interest, except for one year and amounting at this time to £280

Having been informed that you are about to apply some funds, arising from the Trust, to the discharge of debts due from it, I take the liberty of reminding you that the above is one of the earliest contracted by it, and have to request that the interest at least may, if possible, be provided for out of any funds at your disposal. If your instructions do not include this transaction, may I request that you will refrain from disposing of the funds in hand till the Lieutenant-Governor can be communicated with. I have, on two previous occasions, addressed the Local Government on the subject, but the matter has stood over so long that I presume it has, on the present occasion, escaped observation.

I have, &c.,

William Fox,
Resident Agent.

Messrs. Poynter, Carkeek, and Tinline,
Board of Management of Native Reserves, Nelson.