Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 6. — The Hon. the Defence Minister, to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell

page 184

No. 6.
The Hon. the Defence Minister, to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington. April 28th, 1868.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter of the 13th instant, I have the honour to inform you, from communications which I have had with Mr. Fenton, I find that he is clearly of opinion that your attendance at the Court is absolutely necessary. I gather from him that the reports and other papers relating to the Native reserves, would most probably not be admitted as evidence, and it appears impossible that any progress can be made without your testimony, under these circumstances the Court would no doubt feel bound to issue a subpœna to ensure your attendance.

I understand that the state of your health will not admit of your proceeding by the steamer to Christchurch, but Mr. Fenton will open the Court on the 20th, and proceed with the business.

I shall be glad to be informed whether you will be prepared to attend on the receipt of a telegram, slating that your presence is necessary, without the issue of a subpœna.

I have, &c.,
T. Haultain.

The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell.