Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 1. — The Hon. the Postmaster-General, to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell

No. 1.
The Hon. the Postmaster-General, to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantell.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, May 16th, 1867.

Sir,—

The owners of several Native reserves in the Middle Island have forwarded applications to the Native Land Court, to have their titles to those reserves investigated, and the Government is desirous that as many similar claims as possible should be forwarded and determined at the same time.

The Government is of opinion, that with a view to a satisfactory settlement of these claims, it will be necessary to produce evidence before the Court on many questions connected with the purchases, which were conducted by you when acting as Commissioner for the extinguishment of Native claims in the Middle Island.

I shall be glad, if you will be kind enough to inform me whether it would be convenient for you to attend as a witness at the sittings of the Court, which are proposed to be held at different places in the Middle Island, during the ensuing summer. The Chief Judge has been requested to defer appointing the days for the sittings of the Court, until after the conclusion of the approaching session of the General Assembly, and to make them dependent upon your convenience in case you are willing to attend.

I have, &c.,
John Hall,
Postmaster-General.

The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell.