Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Enclosure No. 1 in No. 7. — Copy of a letter addressed by the Bishop of Christchurch, to His Excellency Sir G. Grey, K.C.B., 12th November, 1863

Enclosure No. 1 in No. 7.
Copy of a letter addressed by the Bishop of Christchurch, to His Excellency Sir G. Grey, K.C.B., 12th November, 1863.

Christchurch, November 12th, 1863.

Sir,—

I forward a letter to your Excellency from the Rev. J. W. Stack, the Maori Missionary of this Province, and I shall feel grateful if your Excellency will give it your favourable consideration.

The mission was originally set on foot by local exertions, and the working of it in assisting the Maoris in providing for their religious and educational wants, and in maintaining kindly feelings between them and the settlers in their neighbourhood, has been very satisfactory.

I am about to try the same experiment in the Chatham Islands, which come within my diocese, the Maoris of which have agreed to contribute £60 per annum towards the maintenance of a Native clergyman, who will also undertake a school.

May I venture to ask your Excellency whether any grant in aid can be made to me from the public funds of New Zealand for school buildings in those islands, if the success of the mission should warrant my proceeding to build?

I have, &c.,

H. C. Christchurch.

His Excellency Sir George Grey, K.C.B., Auckland.