Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 40. — Copy of a Report on the Ruapuke School by I. Newton Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin, to the Hon. the Native Minister

No. 40.
Copy of a Report on the Ruapuke School by I. Newton Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Dunedin, October 31st, 1868. Sir,—

Referring to Mr. Cooper's letter No. 428-1, 22nd August, 1868, I have the honour to report that I returned to the Bluff from Riverton on the 8th instant, and no steamer for Dunedin being expected for a week, or any sailing vessel for Ruapuke within the same period, I judged that I should be following your wishes by hiring a boat to proceed to Ruapuke, for the purpose of inspecting and reporting upon the Native school there.

The wind being adverse, I was unable to leave the Bluff until Sunday, 11th instant, at daylight, and I arrived at Ruapuke at 9 o'clock the same morning. After breakfasting with the Rev. Mr. Wohlers, I accompanied him and his family to the school-house, where he holds divine service on Sundays. On approaching the school-house, I observed the adult Natives dispersed about in smail groups in its vicinity, waiting the arrival of their minister, whilst the younger pupils, in number about 40, were, under the direction of Mr. Henri, their teacher, drawn up in two lines, the girls in one and the boys in another. We passed in, followed by the adults, girls, and boys, successively, all behaving in a very orderly and decent manner, and I was pleased to observe that they appeared generally very attentive during the service.

In the afternoon I visited both the Native villages, and observed that, since my last visit, there was an evident improvement in personal appearance and cleanliness, especially among the children, and I was gratified to find that none had any complaint to make of the master, mistress, or the school, but that all seemed pleased, and to appreciate the advantages to be derived by learning to read and write the English language.

I learned that many of them had lately been suffering from the whooping-cough, but that it then lingered only in a few cases, and those were not serious. In the evening, Mr. Wohlers, who is Chairman of the School Committee, related to me the history of the school from its opening in July last, which was very satisfactory, and informed me that the Natives had subscribed for a clock and a harmonium for the school, and for a set of cricketing materials for their play hours.

On Monday morning, at 9 o'clock, I met Mr. and Mrs. Henri at the school, where I found the pupils drawn up as before. Mr. Henri, by word of command, faced them to the right, left, and about, then marched to their front, to the rear, and to both flanks, sub-divided them, wheeled them right and left, forming half a square, the open side facing the school-room door for inspection. They were all clean, and it was not found necessary to send any of them to the adjoining lake for ablution, as Mr. Henri informed me he at first had to do. With the exception of one youngster of about seven years old who had on a man's pair of Wellington boots, which materially interfered with his marching, they were all fairly attired.

The drill did not seem to be in any way irksome to them, but both boys and girls seemed to enjoy it, and to give an attention to it which would have done credit to a squad of a larger growth.

The inspection being over, they were marched into the school, when Mr. Henri undertook the instruction of the boys, and Mrs. Henri that of the girls, and I was particularly struck with the quiet, methodical, and effective way in which the latter imparted her instruction.

The instruction is carried on entirely in the English language, neither Mr. nor Mrs. Henri having any knowledge of the Maori language, which, as most of the pupils have a smattering of broken. English, is I judge rather an advantage, as they are thus compelled to talk to their teachers in the best English they can muster.

My attention was first directed to the junior boys; they were reading in class, short sentences in monosyllables, the words with open vowels very well, though sometimes puzzled by the different sounds' of "A," and oftener by "ough." In Arithmetic I found them very proficient, in multiplication as far as twice twelve, and they were doing very creditably simple addition in two lines.

I nest turned my attention to the senior girls; they were likewise reading short sentences in monosyllables, in which they acquitted themselves as well or better than the junior boys. They know multiplication by two and three very well, and were learning four times; they were also doing sums in simple addition, some in two three and four lines.

The little girls, and all the little pupils are girls, were learning the alphabet in class, and for the most part read and pronounced the letters readily and well.

The senior boys were mostly not far in advance of the junior, as might have been expected, as most of them all commenced to learn at the same time, but they appeared to be very attentive, and three or four were doing multiplication and division very creditably, and others addition of four and five lines. There were 36 pupils in attendance in the morning.

I had requested Mr. Henri to shorten the lessons that day, so that I might have a sample of a whole day's work in the morning, and have an opportunity of seeing their sports and gymnastics in the afternoon.

page 180

Whilst the girls ran races, skipped over ropes, and played other games, the boys, each having provided himself with a stick to serve as a musket, were again, to their own great satisfaction, drilled for half-an-hour. They then had a short exercise upon the parallel bars and single bars, after that they contended in high and long jumps, and foot races, and when dismissed, a few of the elder boys wound up the day's sports with a game of cricket.

In the evening, school is held for adults, who are otherwise employed in the daytime. On the occasion of my visit, there were nine men and five young women as pupils. They were instructed in Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. The writing of two of the women was very creditable, and three of the men were doing the Rule of Three in numbers of four figures. Save in these cases, their acquirements were similar to those of the younger pupils. The evening's tuition was concluded with a lessor upon the map of the World, in which they appeared interested, but not far advanced, having commenced only the previous week.

I may now conclude this part of my report by expressing my opinion that the school is methodically and intelligently conducted, that the results for the short time since its establishment —two months and a half—are highly satisfactory, and that by judiciously combining training with the amusements of the children, Mr. Henri, with the earnest support of Mr. Wohlers, has established a habit of cheerful obedience and submission to discipline in school, which will, I believe, materially conduce to the intellectual advancement, and render more facile the instruction of his pupils.

I had to regret but one omission, the girls are not instructed in needlework, for this, I was informed, Mrs. Henri could not find time, but I suggested to her that in a short time some of the older girls might assist in teaching the little ones, and thus enable her to give some instruction in sewing.

It will be perceived by the Quarterly Return, which I forward by this mail, that the number of pupils on the books is 51, and that the average daily attendance is 42. The whooping cough, which I before mentioned, has tended to lower the average amongst the children, where attendance has otherwise been regular, while the adult men are frequently absent from the island in pursuit of their vocations, fishing, &c.

The school is open five days every week, besides afternoon Sunday school, Saturdays being holidays.

The following supplies are required:—Multiplication tables on cards, Copy books, large text, those sent being all small hand, two rulers, and six earthenware ink wells.

The buildings are not painted, and it is essential to their preservation that it should be done this summer.

Mr: Henri complains that the lining of the master's house has shrunk so much as to render it very windy in bad weather—of which in Foveaux Strait they have a large share—from which his wife suffers severely, and he has applied to me to have the front rooms of the house papered. I have procured an estimate, or rather a tender, to paint both houses with three coats, and to calico and paint the front rooms of the master's house for £35, which I consider reasonable, and recommend for acceptance should you think fit to authorize the work.

I have, &c,
I. Newton Watt.

The Hon. the Native Minister.