Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 37. — Copy of a letter from I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister

No. 37.
Copy of a letter from I. N. Watt, Esq., to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Dunedin, June 11th, 1868.

Sir,

Referring to Mr. Halse's letter of the 6th March, 1868, and to my letter of 21st March, 1868, I have the honour to inform you in explanation of my not visiting Ruapuke to confer with Mr. Wohlers and to certify to the fulfilment of the contract for the building of the school-house and master's house there, that I did not receive any reply to the latter until subsequent to the Natives starting upon their annual mutton bird catching expedition, and that I was removed to Dunedin prior to their return. I would also respectfully submit that it would be advisable that the question raised by the Natives as to whether they (that is the Natives in Foveaux's Strait) are entitled, exclusive of the other sellers of Stewart's Island, to the income to be derived from the £2000 to be invested for educational purposes, should be settled; for, as I stated in my letter to Mr. Rolleston, accompanying that already quoted, they think the income to be derived from this should free them from the one- fourth contribution required towards the school fees; and I may add that I am convinced that even were they willing to pay the fees required, in most cases their poverty would not admit of it, as the reserves of land made for them have not hitherto yielded them any revenue, nor will they until they shall have been surveyed and some title be obtained under which they may be let.

On my arrival at Dunedin, I saw Mr. Hislop, the Inspector of Schools, who informed me that he could not then help me to obtain a master as he was in want of masters himself; but on the 6th instant I received a letter from him introducing to me a Mr. Henri, in which he says:—"Mr. Henri has recently arrived with his wife and child from Auckland, where his wife was a teacher under the Board of Education in that Province. He appears to be a gentleman well fitted for a teacher, and you will be able to judge for yourself whether he is not likely, along with his wife, to suit very well for Ruapuke."

Mr. Henri is a Huguenot, and speaks English well, with but little French accent, and his wife (formerly Miss Drabble) is an Englishwoman. I have informed him as to what will be the nature of his duties and of the remuneration he is likely to receive, he is anxious to go, and I think he is likely to suit; but I do not think it advisable to appoint him trusting to the Natives paying any portion of the school fees. He is out of employment and is anxious to receive an answer as soon as possible, and, in the event of his being appointed, he would require to be forwarded here, which would, I estimate, cost about £16 or £17.

Some furniture also would be required for the master's house and also for the school-house; the books, I understand, can be forwarded from Wellington. If it should be considered desirable to appoint him, I would beg to be apprised of it by telegram.

I have, &c.,
I. Newton Watt.

The Hon. Native Minister, Wellington.