Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Ruapuke. — No. 32. — The Under Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq.

Ruapuke.
No. 32.
The Under Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq.,

Native Office, Wellington, October 15th, 1866.

Sir,—

I have the honour, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to acknowledge the receipt of your letters Nos. 4 and 7 of the 3rd instant, and in reply, to inform you, (1). That the portion of the interest due to Teone Topi and Paitu, on £2000, part of the purchase money of Stewart's Island, amounting to £64, has been made payable to you at the Sub-Treasury, Southland; and you are requested to pay it to them as before taking their receipts. The balance of £96 will, as previously, be paid to Mr. Strode for the Kihau children. (2). With regard to the sum of £2000, which is in terms of the Deed of Purchase to be invested for educational purposes in land, in the Province of Southland, I am directed to ask you to confer with Mr. Wohlers, and to request him to assist you in selecting land for the purpose.

Mr. Richmond wishes the selections should, if possible, be such as will be immediately productive. In the meantime you are requested, in conjunction with Mr. Wohlers, to advise the Government as to how a sum of £320, or thereabouts, being two years interest at 8 per cent or. £2000, may be best employed in immediately providing a school for the Southland Natives.

Mr. Richmond requests that you will inform Teone Topi and Paitu, that their letters have been received, and that the Government propose at once to take steps to carry out their original engagements.

I have, &c.,
W. Rolleston.
Under Secretary

I. Newton Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin.