Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Riverton. — No. 28. — The Under. Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq., R.M

Riverton.
No. 28.
The Under. Secretary, Native Department, to I. N. Watt, Esq., R.M.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, March 5th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to request that you will make arrangements with Mr. Cameron the district schoolmaster at Riverton, to undertake the duty of teaching the Native children at Aparima, and such others as choose to attend at the school-house on the reserve there.

The understanding with Mr. Cameron, is that he should teach the Native children for the same amount of remuneration as he receives for each European scholar, viz., £1 per quarter.

You will, therefore, be good enough to inform him that the Government will contribute after the rate of £3 per annum, for every scholar who attends regularly, and the parent will be required to pay £1.

The payment will be calculated in accordance with the provisions of Section XV of "The Native Schools Act, 1867," on the daily average of scholars in attendance.

I enclose four copies of the forms which are required to be filled in quarterly, and certified by yourself.

While at Riverton you will be good enough to inform the Natives of the proposed arrangements, and impress upon them the necessity of sending their children regularly to school if they are desirous that any good should result from the system, and also as to the importance of sending them in a clean and tidy condition.

If Mr. Cameron is agreeable to undertake the duties under the proposed mode of payment, there is nothing to hinder the school being opened forthwith.

I have, &c.,
W. Rolleston,
Under Secretary.

I Newton Watt, Esq., R.M., Dunedin.