Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 24. — Mr. I. Newton Watt, R.M., Dunedin, to the Hon. the Native Minister.]

No. 24.

Mr. I. Newton Watt, R.M., Dunedin, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Dunedin, January 19th, 1870.

Sir,

I have the honour to forward herewith the quarterly report of the Otago Heads Native School, for the period ended 31st December last, by which you perceive that the amount of Government subsidy claimed under the existing arrangement is £13 1s., this, with the fees received from the pupils, amounts to £17 8s. 6d.; and although this sum may and will no doubt be increased, it does and will (unless the Natives from other settlement in the Province where there are no schools, should be persuaded to send their children to Otago Heads) fall short of a maintenance there for a schoolmaster and his wife, and I much fear that we shall lose the services of Mr. Leask, if the amount cannot be considerably increased.

I therefore respectfully but strongly urge upon the Government the propriety of guaranteeing a minimum payment (including pupils fees), of £130 per annum for the master, and £20 for the sewing mistress, as I think that for less than this it will be difficult to retain the services of eligible teachers; the place being isolated, supplies with difficulty obtained, and there being no society other than Maori there. And I would further recommend, that in the case of the master (Mr. Leask), this should take effect from the 1st October last, and in that of the sewing mistress (Mrs. Leask), from the 1st January instant, as she only commenced at the end of the year.

If the Government should be pleased to accede to my recommendation, I beg that I may be apprised of it by telegraph, Mr. Leask being very anxious and unsettled at not seeing his way to a subsistence at present. I have forwarded salary abstract certified, but with the amount left blank for the insertion of such sum as shall be authorized.

I have, &c.,
I. Newton Watt, R.M.

The Hon. the Native Minister.

Enclosure in No. 24.
Report of the Chairman of the Committee of the Native School at Otago Heads.

Otago Heads, December 25th, 1869.

Having made a commencement myself in February, the school was opened formally in the church in the month of March. Mr. Oldfield, who was the teacher, conducted it with punctuality and page 170some earnestness, but showed himself otherwise ill qualified for the post. In the month of May, he resigned. His resignation was accepted by the Committee, and by Mr. Watt, the Government Inspector.

The schoolmaster's house was now procceded with, and the appointment of a new schoolmaster was delayed until the house was completed.

The Committee have to notice with regret that the school was thus closed for four months.

In the month of October, the school was re-opened, Mr. Henry Leask having been appointed teacher, he has continued his work ever since—nearly three months—with earnestness and diligence. The number of pupils is rather smaller than before, many adults being engaged in shearing in other parts of the Province.

The pupils generally understand the teacher, although he knows no Maori. Their pronunciation of English is defective, and consequently their Reading is not so good as it might be. Their Spelling and Writing is good, and they have made creditable progress in singing. They are slow in Arithmetic, and have not been taught much Geography. The sewing class has only just been commenced, therefore, we cannot speak of its progress, but trust that under Mrs. Leask the pupils will learn rapidly.

The Committee look forward to an increase of number in a few weeks, and a still larger addition during the winter months. They are happy to be able to state that a school-house has been erected by the Maoris at their own expense, and they trust the Government will grant aid in providing suitable and necessary furniture. In particular a desk for the teacher and a school bell may be mentioned as required.

The Committee beg to thank Mr. Watt for the interest he has shown in the school, and his readiness to afford assistance, and they trust that so long an interval as four months may never occur again in the history of the school.

They beg to record their satisfaction with the present teacher, and trust he may be encouraged to labour amongst them with increased success during the coming year.

One feature of this school we cannot pass over. All the children attend the Sunday school, and while in many respects they are behind English children, yet we feel that the teacher who labours here, and is actuated by the right spirit, is conferring a precious boon on the minds and spirits of the young here, who would otherwise grow up in ignorance and vice, and deserves well of his country while he serves his God.

We conclude by praying that God may bless the Otago Heads school and its teacher.

A. Blake,
Chairman.