Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 22. — John Hislop, Esq., Secretary Education Board of Otago, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner

No. 22.
John Hislop, Esq., Secretary Education Board of Otago, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner.

Education Office, Dunedin, March 20th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that I submitted your letter of date January 18th, to the consideration of the Education Board, at a meeting held on the 9th instant, when the following resolution was passed:—"That the General Government be communicated with to the effect that, if they will find the means, the Board is prepared to provi[gap — reason: illegible]e schools at Taieri Kerry, Otago Heads, Waikouaiti, and Moeraki." I understand His Honor the Superintendent has communicated with the Colonial Government on the subject.

I have this week received letters from the Rev. Mr. Dasent, of Waikouaiti, and Mr. Leggatt, of Moeraki. Mr. Dasent thinks the number of children at the Kaik is so large, and that the distance is so great, that a teacher at the Waikouaiti Native settlement is much needed. I append a copy of page 169Mr. Dasent's letter. I am glad to learn from Mr. Leggatt that there is every prospect of a satisfactory arrangement being made for placing the means of school education within the reach of the Maori children at Moeraki.

You are probably aware that the whole of the flat country at and all round the Taieri Native village was entirely submerged by the recent floods. Most of the settlers had to leave their houses for a time, and much injury has been done to their property. This will, for a time, delay the carrying out of any arrangements for providing a school there by the settlers and Maoris.

I have, &c.,
John Hislop,
Secretary Education Board.

Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Wellington.