Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 20. — Mr. Alexander Mackay, Native Commissioner, to Mr. J. Hislop, Secretary Education Board, Dunedin

No. 20.
Mr. Alexander Mackay, Native Commissioner, to Mr. J. Hislop, Secretary Education Board, Dunedin.

Dunedin, January 18th, 1868.

Sir,

As the General Government is desirous of establishing schools under "The Native Schools Act, 1867," in the neighbourhood of all the Native settlements throughout the Province, wherever the inhabitants express a desire to comply with the provisions of the Act, and having been instructed to make arrangements with the manager of local schools in the vicinity of any of their settlements, wherever these exist, for the admission of Native and half-caste children. I would, in the first place, beg to inquire whether there is any probability that the Board will establish a school at the East Taieri Ferry. My reason for asking is, that when visiting the Natives at Taieri last Thursday, they expressed themselves very desirous to see a school established in the vicinity, as they were anxious that their children should receive the benefit of education. The nearest local school to them is between three and four miles distant, too far for their children to travel night and morning. There are a number of children at this settlement, chiefly half-castes, and the parents expressed themselves willing to assist in any way to farther the establishment of a school in the district, either in sawing timber for the building, or in rendering such other assistance as lay in their power.

The Natives have consented to set apart ten acres of land as an endowment for a school, which of course would have to be made over to the General Government.

There are a number of children belonging to the settlers in the district, and, as both the local schools are situated at a considerable distance, the parents would be very glad to render some assistance in order to secure the benefit of a school for their children in closer proximity to their neighbourhood. If a mixed school could be established in the locality, it would be conferring a great benefit upon the community, both European and Native, it would also be the means of inducing a competent person to [gap — reason: damaged]dertake the duties, as it would secure a better attendance of scholars than if confirmed to the children of one race only. There are 20 Native and half-caste children living with their parents at a distance from the pah, this would give a total number of 38 children to that district. Some of them are of course too young to attend school, and in some cases where there are a number of children in one family, the parents could not afford to send them all.

While on the subject, I would beg to inquire whether it would be possible to effect any arrangement for the admission of Native and half-caste children at either of the local schools at Waikouaiti or Hampden.

I beg to enclose, for your information, a copy of "The Native Schools Act," and a form of return required under it. You will observe that one object of the provisions of the Act is to promote an interest among the Natives themselves for the education of their children, by making the Government subsidy dependent to a certain extent on their own efforts. Clause XVIII provides for the payment of the education of Native children in European schools. The first portion of the Act from Clause V, to Clause VIII, does not appear particularly applicable to the Natives residing in the Southern Provinces. It would be much to the interest of these people if the Local Committee would undertake the management of the whole affair, at any rate until the Natives acquire an insight into the working of the system. Would you kindly oblige me by bringing this matter before the Board at its next sitting, and favour me with their views on the subject?

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner

J. Hislop, Esq., Secretary Education Board, Dunedin.