Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Otago Heads And Taieri. — No. 19. — Wm. Rolleston, Esq., Under Secretary Native Affairs, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Dunedin

page 166

Otago Heads And Taieri.
No. 19.
Wm. Rolleston, Esq., Under Secretary Native Affairs, to Alexander Mackay, Esq., Native Commissioner, Dunedin.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, January 17th, 1868.

Sir,

I have the honour, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to acknowledge the receipt of your reports of the 7th and 9th instant, and to thank you for them as giving a very satisfactory account of the progress made by you in carrying out the instructions given you.

With regard to what you state of the feelings of the Natives as to schools, I am to point out that the Government is more desirous of promoting the attendance of Native children at the ordinary European schools than of establishing Native schools for Maori children exclusively.

I am to request you to report the result of your enquires as to the prospect of obtaining admission into these English schools, and, if necessary, to retrace your steps to obtain satisfactory information on the subject.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston,
Under Secretary.

A. Mackay, Esq., Dunedin.