Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 6. — Mr. A. Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department

page 119

No. 6.
Mr. A. Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Christchurch, March 3rd, 1868.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter No. 79-2, of 18th February, informing me that my proposal to make the land at Puharakeke-nui, a reserve for Aparahama Te Aika is approved,* and requesting me to obtain a proper plan and description for a Crown grant, I have the honour to inform you that on making application at the Survey Department, Christchurch, I learnt that the land had not yet been surveyed. The land also proposed to be granted to the Natives at Te Taumutu, appears to be in a similar position. Mr. Davy, the Chief Surveyor, has promised, however, to put the work in hand, at an early opportunity, and to furnish the necessary plans and description.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.

* Land since included amongst awards of the Native Land Court by notification in New Zealand Gaxette, of 20th June, 1868; further action, however, will require to be taken to vest the title in the Natives, as the case was not dealt with by the Court, although included amongst the awards.