Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 2. — The Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury

No. 2.
The Colonial Secretary, to the Superintendent of Canterbury.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Wellington. May 23rd, 1867.

Sir,—

The Government has received an application from a Kaiapoi Native of the name of Te Aika, for a piece of land near where the stream Puharakeke-nui flows into the River Waimakariri. It appears page 118that he wishes for the land rather from old associations, and from the facilities afforded by the locality for eel fishing, than from any intrinsic value of the land which from the tracing (attached), supplied from the Provincial Survey Office, appears to be of unfertile character.

I shall be glad if this request of Te Aika can be complied with, without prejudice to other interests, and purpose, if your Honor sees no objection, to advise His Excellency to grant the land in question to Te Aika. I may add as your Honor is probable aware that Te Aika deserves well of the Government, as well for his general character as for the part he took at the time of the original purchase of the Kaiapoi Block.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
Pro Colonial Secretary.

The Superintendent of Canterbury.