Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

[No. 16. — Mr. Alexander Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.]

No. 16.

Mr. Alexander Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Christchurch, March 3rd, 1868.

Sir,—

With reference to the apportionment of Block IV, in the Kaiapoi reserve to the survivors of the 15 claimants named by Mr. Buller, I have the honour to inform you, that after a great deal of trouble caused by the number of conflicting interests produced by the bush partitional scheme, I at last succeeded after being compelled to survey the land twice over, in allotting the greater portion of it to various Native residents who were unprovided with land:—three of Mr. Buller's claimants have been provided for on this block, and it is proposed to locate other three on the surplus land in Block III, near the Waikoruru Creek, as there will be about 48 acres to spare, after satisfying the Moeraki claim, and as the Moerakis had decided to take their share at the eastern end of Block III it left the further extremity available for allotment to the Kaiapoi people.

On proceeding there, however, to lay off the proposed sections I found the land was foot or more under water, so I was compelled to abandon the idea.

I have also been able to apportion a part of Block IV to three of the new claimants; there remain now three of the original claimants, and ten additional ones;—13 in all, and to provide these with farms of 14 acres each would require an area of 182 acres.

I was very desirous to have parcelled Block IV amongst the original claimants mentioned in Mr. Buller's report, but I found it perfectly impracticable to carry out the intention; so much opposition being brought to bear against me, both collectively and individually; first I had the runanga to contend with, and then the interest of each occupant in the bush parcels apportioned by Mr. Buller, to fight against, besides this, there was their joint displeasure against the Moeraki claim, and the decision of the Government respecting Port Levy, which all added fuel to the fire, and it was only by dint of perseverance that I was able to accomplish the object in view. The landless Natives page 114were mostly favourable to the plan proposed; the greatest opponents I had, ranked amongst those who were already provided for, and consequently could have little interest in the matter.

In pursuance with your instructions, I have endeavoured to ascertain whether it was possible to obtain land suitable for Native occupation; but I am sorry to say all my enquiries on the subject have ended unsatisfactorily; all the available land in the various localities suitable for the purpose, appears to be already acquired. It might be possible to get land perhaps at either Pigeon Bay, or Okains Bay, on Banks' Peninsula; or perhaps at Oxford above Rangiora, by going a long way back to the hills. Mr. Boys of the Survey Department, described a place about four or five miles distant from Oxford, on a tributary of the River Eyre, as being very well adapted for Native occupation.

If land could be acquired in this neighbourhood, it would be very advantageous to the Kaiapoi residents, as it would give them a supply of fi[gap — reason: damage]ewood for their future wants; their present supply in a few years will be all gone, and it would be a great boon to these people if some timbered land could be acquired for them, as they will eventually be very badly off for timber.

The plan I would suggest, as it is possible the timbered land, if it can be acquired, is not well adapted for cultivation, is; that if any of the Natives, having a preferential claim in the bush parcels at Kaiapoi, should be willing to waive their rights in favour of any Native unprovided with land, a piece of timbered land at Oxford should be awarded them, in proportion to the value of the land so surrendered by them; on the understanding that the right of disposing of the timber should be restricted, and any infringement of this rule would forfeit their right to it.

There is close upon 200 acres of timbered land now in the occupation of the Natives at Kaiapoi, on which the bulk of the timber has been cut down, which, under the present system of holding the bush parcels, they can retain for an indefinite period to the exclusion of all others; but if it were possible to offer them some inducement to surrender their rights to it, the land might be made available to locate the landless Natives on.

Inclosed, I beg to forward you a list of those Natives who will require Crown grants prepared for them under the present apportionment; also a list of those to whom land has been allotted on Block IV, together with the names of those Natives who are as yet unprovided with land at Kaiapoi.

A plan of the recent survey will be furnished as soon as I can obtain a clean copy of the working plan.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.

List of Natives for whom Crown Grants are recommended.

No. A. R. P.
123 9 0 0 Paora Tuere, of Ngaitahu
124 6 2 0 Makarini Mokomoko, of Ngaitahu
126 15 2 0 Tiemi Ricker (half-caste), of Ngaitahi
127 7 3 4 Mohi Patu, of Ngaitahu
130 7 2 0 Makarini Mokomoko, of Ngaitahu
131 14 2 3 Wirihana Piro, of Ngaitahu
132 14 0 16 Mohi te Aika, of Ngaitahu
128 17 0 1 Te Kiwha, of Ngaitahu

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

3rd March, 1868.

List of Natives provided with land on Block IV.

Names. Remarks.
*Mohi Patu Seven acres three roods four perches, on Block 4; and adjoining Lot 87, fourteen acres three roods four perches.
*Makarini Mokomoko Seven acres two roods on Block 4; and six acres two roods at the eastern extremity of Block 3, fourteen acres. The last named Lot was awarded him in consideration of his having been in possession for many years, also his having built a house on it, and having an interest in the stumps.
*Wirihana Piro Fourteen acres two roods three perches on Block 4.
*Te Kiwha Seventeen acres one perch on Block 4. It was first proposed to award this Lot to Hoani Hape (one of the original claimants), but he decided to surrender his right in favour of the present allottee, as he would prefer being located on the surplus land on Block 3 instead.
Mohi te Aika Fourteen acres sixteen perches on Block 4. This is one of the new claimants named in Mr. Stack's list; the land was claimed by his father, Aperahama Te Aika, owing to his dead being buried there, and to his having a preferential claim in the stumps. As it was necessary to make provision for the son somewhere on the reserve, I deemed it advisable to allow him to occupy the land he was already in possession of.
Tiemi Ricker Fifteen acres two roods. This is also one of the new claimants named in Mr. Stack's list. The land allotted to him was claimed by Wi Pukepuhia, Wiremu Te Uki, and others, under the bush divisional arrangement. Pita Te Hori had also an old claim on a portion of it. The various claimants were willing to waive their respective claims in favour of the present allottee, and the only arrangement that could be effected, under the circumstances, was to allot the land to their nominee.

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

3rd March, 1868. Note.—Names marked thus (*) are original claimants.
page 115

List of Natives who are yet unprovided with land at Kaiapoi.

Names. Remarks.
*Turi Te Wera Proposed to allow him 14 acres near the Waikoruru stream.
*Hakopa Hutai Ditto ditto same locality.
*Hoane Hape Te Ao Ditto ditto same locality.
*Pere Pukuhau Unprovided.
*Poou-are-are Ditto.
*Henere Tawha Ditto.
Tiemi (half-caste) Ditto.
Phil Ryan (half-caste) Ditto.
Toria (half-caste) Ditto.
Rairuha Ditto.
Kaiwhi Ditto.
Thos. E. Green (half-caste) Ditto.
Wm. Green (half-caste) Ditto.
Pauri Ditto.
Tioti Kahu Ditto.