Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 14. — Mr. Alexander Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department

No. 14.
Mr. Alexander Mackay, to the Under Secretary Native Department.

Dunedin, January 9th, 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honour to return herewith my report of the 30th November, and to inform you that I had an interview on 31st December, with Matiaha Tiramorehu and the other Moerakis, relative to their claim* at Kaiapoi; when they unhesitatingly admitted 10 out of the 12 allottees, mentioned in my report of the 30th November, viz., allottees on lots 12, 18, 61, 71, 76, 77, 78, 80, 103, and 107, to be bona fide Moeraki claimants. I pointed out to them that the names of some of them did not appear in Mr. Mantell's census of 1848 to this they answered that the census was not complete, that names were omitted that ought to appear, and that the 10 allottees they had assented to were Moeraki residents at the time Mr. Mantell made the reserves. I presume, therefore, that since the Moerakis have fully admitted the rights of the whole of these within mentioned allottees to share in the 500 acres at Kaiapoi, that no further difficulty can exist, and that when I return to Kaiapoi, I may proceed to lay off Block III, so as to ascertain the exact acreage included therein, and if it is proved on actual survey, that there is more land than will satisfy the Moeraki claim, I may be allowed to award the overplus to any of the Kaiapoi residents who may be in want of land.

It was agreed at the meeting of the Moeraki inhabitants, that the 322 acres remaining to them should be divided in four blocks. Block I to remain its present size, and so much of Block 3, as they were entitled to, to be cut up into three blocks of 94 acres each; or else to lay it off into six blocks, which would give five 50 acre farms, and one of 32 acres, this in my opinion would be the most convenient sized blocks to lay the land off in for every purpose; and would render it less difficult to be dealt with, if they decide upon letting it, which appears to be the general disposition amongst them at present.

I would also beg to recommend that I may be authorized to alter the road line abutting Block III, where it interferes with the bush parcels, it would only require a slight alteration which would be advantageous in many ways, and cause less irregularity in the shape of the sections proposed to be laid off on this block.

If the land is granted to the Moerakis with the road in its present position, it will only create a series of difficulties between the holders of the bush parcels and the grantees, as the Kaiapoi men are sure to assert their right to occupy the land until the bush is cleared off, in fulfilment of Mr. Buller's promise to them.

The Moerakis expressed themselves agreeable to take an equal extent in area to the number of acres due to them in satisfaction of their claim at Kaiapoi, in the neighbourhood of their reserve, if it could be acquired for them. I have made enquiries at the Land Office since I arrived in town, and have ascertained that all the land in the vicinity of their reserve at Moeraki, which would be of any service to them, is already purchased.

With respect to Block IV, I am aware that it is not permanently allotted, but still it is so hampered at present that very little can be done with it; however I may be able to find room for a few on it, on my return.

In conclusion I would beg to inform you that I propose visiting the reserve at the Heads next, page 113and afterwards the settlement at the Taieri, and on my return from there I shall proceed by sea to the Bluff, as the overland communication between Otago and Southland is very uncertain.

I am finishing off the whole of my work as I go, so that I shall have no occasion to return the way I came, I shall therefore on completing my work at the South, return direct by sea to Lyttelton, without I find instructions to the contrary on my return here from the South.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary Native Department, Wellington.

* This claim was finally adjudicated on by the Native Land Court in May, 1868, and land to the extent of 32[gap — reason: damage] acres granted in satisfaction of it, this quantity together with 178 acres previously allotted to the Moeraki Natives out of the Kaiapoi reserve, made up the 500 acres originally intended for them.—Alexander Mackay, Commissioner.