Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Enclosure in No. 2. — [Translation.]

Enclosure in No. 2.
[Translation.]

This is my Speech, O Governor,—

About the alienation of our lands. This matter commences with Kaiapoi, which I am about to discuss. Friend the Governor, cease the obstinancy and stubbornness of your thoughts in giving the payment of the land of a people to other stranger folks, rather let it be given to us, which is the cause of our writing this letter to you. Friend the Governor, hear the commencement of this speech to you about Kaiapoi, commencing at Kaiapoi, Rarahui, Te Aka Aka, Te Kohai—E rua te Kohai—Kourapanepane, Te Mimi o Moki Parawaka, Pohatunui, O Kakoreka Tuahipari, Taumarakaihore, Te Kuri Komanawa, Te Arawhakawae, Te Patoku, Tapuae, Tokomaru, Te Kurunui, Kaharoroa, Makuhau Marikirikiri, Te Upoko, Omaki, Rapui Maru, Waiuru, Tuahukoi, Makahapokopoko, Takangaoko, Piri Tutaeputuputu, To Mikiatewaranga, Te Raumanuka, Te Rorotaureroa, Te Rako, Tuku Tukuiwi, Waitoroki, Taiapua, Oturu, Kahutara, on the head of the River Pakuhia, Te Kaiwahia, Uerau, Kaitarau, Te Puhi Puhi, Wairau, Tapuaenuku, Maukutarehu, Puahia, Tu, and Rongo and Wairau.

Now friend the Governor, do not be mistaken in your thoughts with regard to Wairau. Do not say to us Wairau does not belong to the men of Kaiapoi. Friend, Wairau belongs to me; the Natives living there are merely squatters. I now, for the first time, give my full consent to give up to you the land of Wairau, Te Are Are, Torea Moua, Totaranui. Friend the Governor, hearken to the right ownership of this land; Tuahuriri is the man of the land, all the other people are living there without authority, all those men have only lately come to reside there. Ngati Kuia, is the tribe who lived on that land in former times. Tuahuriri was the man who had authority over all these lands, because he was the great chief of Ngati Wairangi. Hahukuratupaku first owned; that land, and from him descended Tumaroro, and from Tumaroro came Te Tuahuriri, thus he was the chief of all those lands.

Friend the Governor, cease your mistaken ideas regarding my lands in giving them away to the people. Mine alone is the land; the payment is stolen if it should be given by you to any other.

January 16th, 1850.

John Te Kao, Te Ao
Tamati Pukurau, Tuauau
Te Hau, Mokaikai
Huanoa, Koreko
Tawa, Riri
Tae Tae
Hia Hia.