Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

Enclosure 3 in No. 1. — J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to Wm, Fox, Esq

Enclosure 3 in No. 1.
J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to Wm, Fox, Esq.

Riccarton, Port Cooper Plains, January 11th, 1850.

Sir

In my letter of 4th December last, reporting my arrival at Port Cooper, I mentioned my intention of proceeding northwards to examine the country towards Amuri and Kaikoura Peninsula. I regret to say that I have been unable to do this. I started for Kaiapoi on the 5th December, but was detained two days before I could engage a couple of Natives. One of these fell ill on his way back with me to Port Cooper for my previsions; the only Native I could get at Rapaki to replace him, after keeping me waiting two days at Lyttelton, very coolly left me in the lurch to go eel fishing. I started back at once for Kaiapoi, but on arriving there on the 14th, nearly every able-bodied man was making up his pack for Akaroa (and among them Hutai, who had engaged himself to me) to receive payment for their lands, although there was no probability of the Commissioner returning from Otago for at least a fortnight. Till the payment was over, I could not hope to get a Native anywhere, and the time appointed for e to meet the "Acheron" had now nearly arrived. I have, therefore, while waiting, employed myself about Kaiapoi and the foot of the hills, surveying with a view to future excursions. I ascended Mount Grey (Maukatere) again, for the purpose of obtaining sights to peaks lying north of it, which, on our former excursion, the cloudy weather on the mountains had prevented.

While I was at Kaiapoi, the West Coast Natives arrived, having been a fortnight on the road; four days of this time was occupied in canoes coming up the Taramakau River, the downward trip requiring only one day. The journey is to be performed by a European, whose provisions are lighter than their's, in six days. I understand from them, that there is a considerable amount of open country on the route, and one grass plain, called Pakitiri, about four days' journey, which is considerably larger than the Waipara Plain. There is also another (Te Kara, o, Tamatea), near the mouth of the Buller (Kawatiri), described as very extensive, and as not having been seen by Mr. Heaphy or Mr. Brunner. It is reached by going a day's journey up the River Warawara, which joins the Buller from the southward, near its mouth. In one place the level land is said to run back very close to the south bank of the Buller. There is deep water at the entrance of the Buller; a schooner from Ahuriri has been anchored inside.

The route to the Wairau I hare had described to me by a Native, formerly resident on the page 6Awatere. It goes by the following places:—Waipara River, Hurunui River, Waiau River, leaves Msukatawai Mountain on the right or on the left, crosses a ridge, and takes you over level country (Mauwhakapika), and across the Omiro-miro and Omakau Rivers (branches of the Waiau Tca); then up the Wakaputawatea to a ridge, in which rises also a branch of the Awatere, called Waewaeakura. You may then follow down the Valley of the Awatere, or go up a pass leading to the source of the Waiopai River, which will take you into the Wairau. From the accounts of the Natives, I have no doubt horses and cattle could take this road, yet not without encountering difficulties, particularly in the neighbourhood of Awatere. No forest occurs of any size.

I am bound to take the earliest opportunity of informing you that it is probable the Natives of Kaiapoi, Amui, Kaikoura, and Port Levy, will offer objections to the occupancy of the country lying north of the Kowai River, as far as Kaikoura. They have mentioned to me several times that this land has not been purchased, and have expressed their desire to have a conference with the Governor before any measures are taken by me towards settling on it. By their account, Government have paid £100, or more, to Puaha (Rawiti), one of the Otaki chiefs, on account of land claimed by him as far south as old Kaiapoi pa. This claim they deny altogether, on the ground of his never having followed up conquest by occupation; and considering, therefore, that this money has been given for the purchase of their property, they will not allow that their title is extinguished until either he has handed it over to them, or Government has made good the amount. In support of their argument against Puaha's right, they adduce, amusingly enough, Buonaparte's imprisonment by the English, which was not followed up by taking possession of his property. Rauperaha's carrying away several of their chiefs without taking any further steps they consider a parallel case. They mention that it is the intention of the Port Levy people to go and live at Amuri and Kaikoura before long. Other difficulties may perhaps arise in the district above-mentioned, owing to the West Coast Natives, who belong to these tribes, having received nothing for their land. They reached Kaiapoi on the 3rd of January, a week after the payments had been made at Akaroa, and most of the recipients had returned to their homes. I found them highly indignant at having come so far to no purpose, having been given to understand last year that their share would be left with Mr. Watson, at Akaroa, of £110, which they say was given as payment for the West Coast. John Te Uki and Taiaroa have spent the £50 entrusted to them; of the remainder, held by Topi, Horomona, Matiaha, and Tarawata, men living at Otago, they know nothing, except £20, in the hands of Tainui, of Kaiapoi, which they will not touch till they can get the whole sum. In these questions, for fear of doing harm, I have refrained from entering upon discussions or being more than a listener.

I should mention that I have observed, with regard to their land affairs, a general, and I think a growing dissatisfaction among the Natives of Amuri, Kaiapoi, Port Cooper, and Port Levy (with whom alone I have had communication). This may be attributed in a great measure to the prices which they have heard the land will be resold at, and the idea that they have let it go too easily, which a couple of Ngatikahunu men, who seem to have been down here, in some measure as agitators, have taken care to impress upon them. Indeed, one of these men was telling me that the land had gone at the value of a few pigs, when they should have received a million. I am of opinion that one chief source of discontent is their inability to communicate with Government in the absence of any one properly qualified to interpret their wants; of this they are for more in need than the Northern Island tribes, owing to their own disunion, their dispersion, and the want of a superior chief to take the lead among them. The postponement of any land questions until settlers have arrived, will, I imagine, only lead to a greater difficulty in adjusting them, whereas, now, a visit from the Governor might settle everything; and I conceive by the residence, if not permanently, at least for a few months, of a Government officer acquainted with the Maori language, who would explain things and instruct them, many absurd impressions would be removed from their minds, and much good done by leading them to occupations tending to their own advantage and that of the settlers who may arrive here. The transactions between Natives and Europeans are daily growing more numerous; yet it is doubtful whether there is any person resident on Banks's Peninsula or the Plains properly qualified to act as interpreter to the Magistrates in cases arising between the two races.

I intend to proceed to the south-west corner of the Peninsula to continue my work, and obtain sights to the mountains southwards, until the arrival of the "Acheron."

I have, &c.,

J. W. Hamilton.

W. Fox, Esq.,

Principal Agent New Zealand Company.