Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 15. — J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to the Private Secretary

No. 15.
J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to the Private Secretary.

Custom House, Lyttelton, October 9th, 1856.

Sir,—

Referring to your letter of the 16th August last, and my reply thereto, I have the honor to request that you will acquaint His Excellency the Governor that I have not succeeded in finding a competent Interpreter through whom to conduct the negotiations for the surrender of their lands by the Maoris of Akaroa and Kaiapoi.

No application, in reply to a public advertisement for an Interpreter, has been made to me, nor do I entertain a very strong hope of obtaining the services of a competent Native scholar.

Should I hear of such a person, I propose to make no arrangements for entering upon negotiations with the Maoris before the next arrival of the Zingari steamer; so that should His Excellency determine to detach an Officer from the Native Land Purchase Department by that opportunity, no proceedings of mine will have been undertaken by which embarrassment could be created for such officer.

I do not feel myself equal to the task of entering, unassisted, upon negotiations requiring so thorough a knowledge of the Maori language as those connected with the transfer of lands even. page 14though, as in the present instance, the terms have been mainly agreed upon by an officer of experience.

I have, &c.,

J. W. Hamilton,
Collector of Customs.

Captain F. G. Steward,

Private Secretary, &c., &c.

P.S.—I have no time left during the steamer's stay to report to Mr. McLean, and should feel greatly obliged could you cause a copy of this letter to be communicated to him if it appears necessary.

J. W. H.