Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 13. — D. McLean, Esq, to J. W. Hamilton, Esq

No. 13.
D. McLean, Esq, to J. W. Hamilton, Esq.

Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 16th August, 1856.

Sir,

I have the honor to enclose for your information and guidance, copies of memoranda and reports in reference to certain unextinguished claims to land at Akaroa and Kaiapoi, in the hope that you will have the goodness from your knowledge of the locality and the Natives, to undertake a settlement of these questions.

The principal object in view is to effect a final and complete adjustment of these claims, so as to prevent any future revival of them by the Natives, taking especial care that a clause is inserted in any conveyances they may sign involving an undertaking that they themselves shall settle any claims that may for the future be adduced.

I think this object can be attained on the terms recommended in Mr. Johnson's memorandum of the 4th instant, in which, and the other reports herewith enclosed, the whole circumstances attending both the Akaroa and Kaiapoi cases are so clearly explained, that it is needless for me to encumber this letter with any more detailed instructions for your guidance.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

You will receive by this mail a further communication from His Excellency the Governor on this subject.

J. W. Hamilton, Esq., J.P., &c., &c., Lyttelton.