Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 10. — The Superintendent of Canterbury to his Excellency the Governor

No. 10.
The Superintendent of Canterbury to his Excellency the Governor.

Auckland, August 11th, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acquaint your Excellency, that I find, upon conversation with Mr page 12Johnson, who has recently returned from Akaroa, that it is possible a final arrangement might be made for the purchase from the Natives of the land still unpurchased at that place, and also for the settlement of an old claim at Kaiapoi.

I beg to represent strongly, that, if these matters are not now settled, the visit of Mr. Johnson, will be attended with great evils, by raising the expectations of the Natives, and inducing them to expect more hereafter and that a great evil will have been created, which would not have existed had no Commissioner gone down.

If Mr. Johnson will write down instructions, what he wishes to he done, and what he thinks it is fair to do, the matter might be set at rest by any competent person on the spot, without either difficulty or expense.

I have the honour to request Your Excellency's immediate attention to this subject.

I have, &c.,

James Edward Fitzgerald,
Superintendent of Canterbury.

His Excellency the Governor.