Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No.18. — Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary

No.18.
Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary.

Akaroa, 23rd December, 1848.

Sir,

I have the honor to request that you will apprise the Lieutenant-Governor of my receipt of His Excellency's letter, communicating certain changes in the instructions which I received on my appointment to my present mission.

page 216

In accordance with the first and second clauses, I shall inform the Natives that the payments will be made half-yearly, and shall not submit the new deed for their signature.

As all the reserves are defined, it is unfortunately out of my power to carry out His Excellency's wishes as expressed in the last clause; yet I trust that it will be found that I have in every case given such consideration to the present and prospective necessities of the Natives that the Lieutenant-Governor will see little cause to regret that the reserves should have been finally arranged prior to my receipt of His Excellency's letter.

I have, &c.,

Walter Mantell.
The Private Secretary.