Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 14. — Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary

No. 14.
Mr. Mantell to the Private Secretary.

Akaroa, 21st September, 1848.

Sir,

At my late conference with the Ngaitahu Natives at Kaiapoi, I found them much excited at the cession of land north of that place by the Ngatitoa. I told them plainly that my mission had no reference to the land in question, but that I would willingly forward to His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor an abstract of their statements. In redemption of this promise I have the honor to request that you will convey to His Excellency the following notes of their assertions on that occasion. First, that the land was never occupied by the Ngatitoa; second, that the Ngaitahu have never ceased to dwell at or near the disputed land; and third, that subsequently to the last inroad of the Ngatitoa, the Ngaitahu successfully conducted an expedition against that tribe which has not been avenged.

As I am aware that a deputation of Natives, sent to lay the matter before His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, has arrived in Wellington, I feel that it would be unnecessary to make further comment on a subject only accidentally connected with my mission to this Island.

I have, &c.,

W. Mantell.
The Private Secretary.