Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 10. — Despatch from His Excellency Governor Grey to the Right. Hon. Earl Grey

No. 10.
Despatch from His Excellency Governor Grey to the Right. Hon. Earl Grey.

Government House, Auckland, 10th February, 1849.

My Lord,—

In reference to my Despatch No. 80, of the 25th of August last, reporting the arrangements I had directed to be carried out for the extinction of the Native title to the tract of land in the Middle Island lying between the black of land purchased for the Nelson settlement and the block purchased for the Otago settlement, I have now the honor to state that, although official information has not yet reached me regarding the final adjustment of those details of this purchase which relate to the survey, and defining the reserves kept for the use of the Natives, yet I have received information, which I believe to be authentic, that the whole of these details have now been conclusively and satisfactorily adjusted, so that the land question, in as far as nearly the whole of the Middle Island is concerned, has been set at rest; and with respect to that portion of the Middle Island which is not yet purchased, I will take care that at the earliest possible period arrangements are made for the final settlement of the Native claims in relation to that tract of country, as well as of those which are connected with Stewart's Island.

I think it will be a source of great satisfaction to your Lordship to find that so large a tract of country of the most fertile description is thus unrestrictedly open to British enterprise, without any possibility of any of those embarrassing questions arising in relation to it between the European and Native population, in reference to titles to land, which have been a source of such loss and embarrassment to the settlers in the North Island.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey.