Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 3.]

No. 3.

Deed of Cession of the Wairau District.

Port Nicholson, 18th March, 1847.
No. 653, Wairau, £3,000.Ngatitoa for Claims in the Nelson District.Receipt for £600. First Instalment.Dated 18th March, 1847.Plan attached. These are the lands that we have given up to the Governor. Beginning at Wairau, running along to Kaiparatehau (Te Karaka) or Cape Campbell, running along to Kaikoura until you come to Kaiapoi, with the exception of one and one only reserve of these lands that are kept for us, of which these are the boundaries: running from the north of the River Wairau until you come to Waikakaho, then the boundary takes a straight course along that river and into that river: but neither Kaituna or Te Hoiere have been given up by us. The frontage of the part of Wairau is reserved for us, with the exception of what belongs to the Governor, the extent of which is half a mile in front, which goes to him. The mouth and entrance of the river of Tua Marina belongs to the Governor, according to the plan laid down on the map. One side of the Tua Marina running all the way up one mile is the extent of the said land belonging to him, and if he should require a road to be cut through the side of Tua Marino that is kept in reserve for us, we are quite willing it should be done.

The payments that are for these lands is three thousand pounds, to be paid as follows, viz., on the

Eighteenth day of March, 1847, six hundred pounds; 1st payment.

Eighteenth day of April, 1848, six hundred pounds; 2nd payment.

Eighteenth day of April, 1849, six hundred pounds; 3rd payment.

Eighteenth day of April, 1850, six hundred pounds; 4th payment.

Eighteenth day of April, 1851, six hundred pounds; 5th payment.

Making three thousand pounds, which concludes.

Rawiri Kingi (his x mark) Puaha.
Henere Matene Te Whiwhi.
Tamihana Te Rauparaha.

Witnesses to signatures:—

W. F. G. Servantes, Lieut. 6th Regt., Interpreter to Forces.

Robert Jenkins.
William F. Christian.

£600.

Wellington, 18th March, 1847.

Received from Lieutenant W. F. G. Servantes, 6th Regiment, the sum of six hundred pounds, being the first instalment of the payment for the Wairau District and the other lands named in the deed of sale signed by us this day.

Henere Matene Te Whiwhi.
Tamihana Te Rauparaha.

Witnesses to signatures:—

Edward Last, Major, 99th Regt.
Wm. F. Christian, Merchant, Wellington.
Robert Jenkins.

I Certify that I interpreted the above receipt to the signers of the same in the presence of the persons who have witnessed their signatures.

W. F. G. Servantes, Lieut. 6th Regt.,
Interpreter to the Forces.

Original Deed in Maori.

Poneke, 18th March, 1847.

Ko nga whenua enei i tukua ano e matou ki a te Kawana, ko Wairau haere atu Kaparatehau, te Karaka, haere rawa atu Kaikoura, Kaiapoi atu. Kotahi tonu te wahi o enei whenua e waiho ana mo matou. Ko nga rohe enei o te wahi mo matou, haere mai i te taha ki raro o te awa o Wairau haere tonu mai ki Waikakaho katahi ka tika te rohe i tera awa tika tonu, i tera awa tae noa ki roto. Ko Kaituna, ko te Hoiere, kahore enei whenua e tukua e matou. Ko tatahi'o te wahi o Wairau e waiho mo matou, mo Te Kawana a reira kia kotahi te hawe maera te raununui o te wabi i tatahi i ririro i a i a. Ko te kongutu awa o Tua Marina mo Te Kawana hoki a reira i nga maka i tuhia ki te pukupuka nga rohe, na ko tetahi taha o Tua Marina puta noa ki runga mona hoki, kotahi te maera te raununui o te taha i riro i a ia. Ki te mea mai ia kia tapahia te ara i te taha o Tua Marina e waihoa ana ki a matou, e pai ana kia tapahia te ara i te taha o Tua Marina e waihoa ana ki a matou, e pai ana kia tapahia te i kona. Ko nga utu mo enei whenua koia enei, e toru mano nga pauna.

E ono nga rau e homai a tenei rangi, a te tahi tekau ma waru o nga ra o Maehe, 1847, E ono nga rau, a te tahi o nga ra o page 205

Aperira, 1848, E ono nga rau, a te tahi o nga ra o

Aperira, 1849, E ono nga rau, a te tahi o nga ra o

Aperira, 1850, E ono nga rau, a te tahi o nga ra o

Aperira, 1851.

Heoi ano ka toru nga mano ka whakamutua.

Na Henere Matene Te Whiwhi
Na Tamihana Te Rauparaha.

Witness to signatures:—

W. F. G. Servantes, Lieut. 6th Regiment, Interpreter to the Forces.
Robert Jenkins.
Wm. F. Christian.
W. A. McCleverty, Lieut.-Colonel