Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No.85. — The Under Secretary, Native Department, to Mr. C. B. Izard

No.85.
The Under Secretary, Native Department, to Mr. C. B. Izard.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, 3rd September, 1867.

Sir,—

I have the honor, by direction of Mr. Richmond, to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 31st August, in reply to my letter of the 28th ultimo, enclosing a copy of a letter from the Superintendent of Otago, containing certain proposals as to the setting apart a reserve for the Natives in Pelichet Bay.

Mr. Richmond directs me to inform you, that, in accordance with your suggestion, further particulars will be sought for as to the terms of the proposals made by Mr. Macandrew. In the meantime, with regard to the point raised by you, that it is proposed to set aside for Native purposes the land in question, whereas a particular tribe lay claim to the Princes Street Reserve, I am to inform you that the land and funds would be secured to the particular Natives who are interested in the Otago reserves.

I am further to observe that if the arrangement were otherwise agreed to, there would be no difficulty as to the reservation of the land proposed to be set aside.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston, Under secretary.
C. B. Izard, Esq., Wellington.