Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 83. — His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. J. C. Richmond

No. 83.
His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. J. C. Richmond.

Wellington, 27th August, 1867.

Sir,—

With reference to the subject of the interview which Mr. Harris and myself had with you this morning, I now beg to state, on behalf of the Provincial Government of Otago, that it is prepared to engage to set aside for Native purpose a piece of land situated at Pelichet Bay, in the City of Dunedin, of equal area to the Princes Street Reserve; and further, that the Provincial Government will expend not less than one thousand pounds (£1,000) upon the enclosing of said land and the erection thereon of a suitable lodging-house or Native hostelry, to be constructed of brick.

In making this proposal, I desire it to be distinctly understood that I do so without prejudice in respect of the action now pending in the Supreme Court in re Princes Street Reserve. The proposal is made solely with a desire to benefit the Natives, and to prevent much useless and expensive litigation.

I have, &c.,

James Macandrew, Superintendent of Otago.
Hon. J. C. Richmond, Native Minister.