Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 70. — The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell to the Hon. J. C. Richmond

No. 70.
The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell to the Hon. J. C. Richmond.

Sydney Street, Wellington,7th August, 1867, 3.15 p.m.

Sir,—

In connection with my reply to your letter of 25th July ultimo (No. 67-2891 B.), I have now the honor to inform you that the Attorney-General having in due course been applied to for his fiat that the writ of scire facias may issue, has returned that writ to Messrs. Izard and Allan with the following indorsement:—

"Wellington, 6th August, 1867.
"Upon the usual bond being given to the Registrar of the Supreme Court for £500, let the writ issue.—James Prendergast."
As in the letter in which you relegate to me the conduct of this affair on behalf of the Government, you state that the Government wishes to afford the Natives every facility to test the validity of their claims, and as the Government now holds under trust for the Natives the accrued rents of the disputed reserve as a Native Reserve to an amount exceeding £6,000, I have no hesitation in begging you at once to indicate the mode in which the demands of the Attorney-General are to be acceded to, and to appoint bondsmen to undertake the responsibility on behalf of the Government.
Earnestly requesting an immediate reply,

I have, &c.,

The Hon. J. C. Richmond.

W, B. D. Mantell.