Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 67. — The Hon. J. C. Richmond to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantall

No. 67.
The Hon. J. C. Richmond to the Hon. W. B. D. Mantall.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, 25th July, 1867.

Sir,—

In reference to a letter addressed by Te One Topi to His Excellency the Governor, on the 15th of July, relative to the employment of a legal adviser to advocate his claim to the Princes Street page 147Reserve, and with regard to verbal communication from yourself consequent upon your having, at the request of that chief, interested yourself in enabling him formally to petition His Excellency on the subject, I have the honor to inform you that His Excellency has been pleased to accede to the prayer of Topi's petition, and to allow him to use the name of the Crown either in proceedings by scire facias or by such other proceedings as he may be advised to take on behalf of the Ngaitahu and Ngatimamoe Tribes. This permission having been granted, the Government wishes to afford these Natives every facility to enable them to test the validity of their claim, and will guarantee a payment to their legal advisers of a sum not exceeding £200 on account of expenses incurred in prosecuting the suit, including those already incurred by you on their behalf.

The Government understands that you have consented to continue to assist the Natives in bringing their case before the Supreme Court, and that you will, on their behalf, have a regard to the advantageous outlay of the funds to be expended in their interest.

I have therefore thought it right to inform you of the willingness of the Government to afford the help I have mentioned above, and to request that yon will place yourself in communication with Mr. Izard, who, I am informed, has been acting hitherto in the interest of the Natives, or with such other legal gentleman as you may think fit. The Government has no wish to guide the Natives in the selection made, or to recommend them to limit themselves to the advice of one lawyer. It will probably, however, be found advisable to continue the case in the hands of Mr. Izard, associating with him some other gentleman of the legal profession in Wellington, where information on the subject will probably be more accessible than elsewhere.

I have, &c.,

The Hon. W. B. D. Mantell, M.L.C., Wellington.
J. C. Richmond.