Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 58. — His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 58.
His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Superintendent's Office, Dunedin, 30th October 1866.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter No. 435, of the 16th instant, enclosing copy of a letter from the Native chief Hori Kerei Taiaroa, representing the claim of the Natives in Otago to the reserve known as the Princes Street Reserve, in Dunedin, which was granted to the Superintendent of Otago on the 11th January last, in which, after starting that the Government, after a careful consideration of all the circumstances connected with the case, is of opinion that the question of the validity of the Crown Grant should be submitted to a proper judicial tribunal, you propose to me to test the law of the case by "Writ of Intrusion" before the Supreme Court.

In reply, I do myself the honor to state that, on behalf of this Government, I decline to try the validity of the Crown Grant by the course proposed, on the ground that the Provincial Government cannot recognize any Maori right or title to the reserve in question, which point, it was understood, had already been definitely decided by the General Assembly.

I have, &c.,

Thomas Dick, Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.