Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Tuesday, 15 th August, 1865.

Present:—Mr. Reynolds, Chairman; Mr. Taylor, Mr. R. Graham, and Mr. Wilkin.

The minutes of the previous meeting were read and confirmed.

Mr. Mantell's evidence in writing was read:—

1.Were the Natives made aware that the land in question was set aside as reserves for them?— Yes.
2.When you recommended this as a Native Reserve, how was it marked on the plan?—It was marked a Public Reserve, generally understood as reserved for quays and wharves.
3.Did the Natives make any use: of this reserve afterwards?—I do not remember.
4.Were the reserves at Port Chalmers part of the plan of the township?—Port Chalmers Reserves consist of one quarter of an acre of Public Reserve, two unselected one-quarter acres of town sections, one-quarter acre No. 401 purchased by Government to complete reserve, and remainder, portion of town belt.

Mr. James Macandrew, in reply to questions put by Mr. Wilkin, said—I cannot give you any information as to the precise date of the reserves referred to being officially known to the Provincial Government; but it was first made aware of it about the year 1860, when application was made for some Crown Grants for the land adjacent. I was not in Dunedin when the first selections were made. I do not remember ever having seen in the Town of Dunedin a plan with this specific object marked on it, but I was well aware that the water frontage had been reserved for public purposes subsequent to its having been laid off in one-quarter acre sections.

The Committee adjourned sine die.