Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 4. — Mr. Kettle, Government Surveyor, to the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago

No. 4.
Mr. Kettle, Government Surveyor, to the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago.

Survey Office, Dunedin, 11th January, 1854.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of yesterday's date, I have the honor to inform you that by some oversight a list of the reserves does not appear to have been made, as proposed by Mr. Secretary Harrington in his letter of 20th October, No. 3, 1846.

You will see by the map that special reserves were made for a Town Belt, Cattle Market, Cemetery, and Public Gardens. From the documents relating to the survey of the Otago Block, which I lent you the other day, you will also perceive that the reserves near the shore of the harbour were made for public wharves, in order that the public might have free access to the water.

There was also a reserve set apart especially for a Custom House and Post Office at the landing place at Port Chalmers, although no note appears to have been made of the proposed appropriation. The other reserves were made for public purposes, without being intended (so far as I now remember) for any particular purpose.

I have, &c.,

W. Mantell, Esq., J.P., Commissioner of Crown Lands, Dunedin.
C. H. Kettle,
Government Surveyor.