Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 48. — His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 134

No. 48.
His Honor the Superintendent, Otago, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Superintendent Office, Dunedin, 13th July, 1865.

Sir,—

Referring to the correspondence that has passed on the subject of a reserve of land in Princes Street, Dunedin, which is held by some persons out of Otago to be a Maori Reserve, but which my predecessor, as well as the Provincial Council, most emphatically deny, I have now the honor farther to express the views of Government as to the justness of the claims of this Government.

The land referred to was originally surveyed into sections for sale, but was afterwards specially withdrawn and set apart with a view to the ultimate formation of a public quay or wharf; and a part of Dunedin was sold with the reserve in that position. By some means, and in the view of this Government most unjustifiably, the land was afterwards set apart by Mr. Commissioner Mantell for a Maori Reserve, but at a time and under circumstances which render the reserve for that purpose unfair to Dunedin and unjustifiable as a matter of policy, it having been already acknowledged as a reserve for quite a different purpose, and which would have benefited Dunedin, while on the contrary a Maori Reserve in the centre of the city is most injurious.

I regret that the letters of my predecessor, supported as they have been by so explicit and convincing a report on the subject from the Provincial Council, have not already had the effect of inducing you to instruct the Sub-Treasurer to hand over to the Provincial Government the money he at present holds until the question is settled, and I regret further that you have not yet entirely abandoned all claim to the land in question on behalf of the Maoris; but if you are still uncertain that this course ought to be pursued, I have the honor to request that you will still further let the question rest until the Assembly meets, in order that it may be considered by that body, and that the claims of the European population of Otago may be heard through their representatives.

This course I feel assured will meet with your approbation, as being the most satisfactory to all interests concerned, and as affording the most full investigation of the claims of both parties which could be given.

I have, &c,

J. Richardson,
Acting Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.