Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Secretary for Crown Lands

The Commissioner of Crown Lands, Otago, to the Secretary for Crown Lands.

Crown Lands Office, Dunedin, 29th November, 1862.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that I may be instructed to pay the sum of £604 12s. 1d., to the Town Board of Dunedin, the cost of making a footpath along the front of the reserve on the east side of Princes Street, Dunedin. The reserve in question was let by me under the authority of R. Wood, Esq., then Colonial Treasurer, the funds being paid into a separate account, to be dealt with according to instructions. The Town Board has the power of making footpaths in front of any property in town and charging the expenses to the owners or occupiers of the land, the latter having the power to deduct the amount from the rent payable to the owner, provided the tenant has not a lease of three years or longer. In the case in question I have let the property only for one year, but have received the rent in advance, so that the tenants have no remedy by way of deduction. The only objection to the payment is that Crown lands are exempt from such taxes; but as it is clearly the spirit of the Ordinance that this exemption should apply to Crown land of which no use is made, and certainly not to such a case as the present, I have the honor to request that I may be instructed to pay the amount demanded. I may observe that in the case of the Custom House Reserve, also Crown land, the rate for the Government path has been paid by the Collector of Customs.

I have, &c.,

The Hon. Secretary for Crown Lands, Auckland.

W. H Cutten,
Commissioner of Crown Lands.