Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Friday, 21st August, 1868

Friday, 21st August, 1868.

The Committee met pursuant to adjournment.

Present:—Major Atkinson, Mr. Cargill, Mr. Carleton, Mr. Haughton, Mr. Rolleston, and Mr. Tancred.

The Chairman notified to the Committee that he had received from Mr. Batkin, Accountant of the Treasury, his answers to the several questions that had been submitted to him, which the Chairman proceeded to read as follows—

1. It appears that £24,000 was paid at the request of the Comptroller into the Public Trust Fund, after the Public Revenues Act was passed. How was this amount made up?—The sum of £24,431 2s. 2d. referred to by the Committee was made up as follows:—

£ s. d.
Intestate Estates 15,667 15 8
Real Estates Administration 1,047 16 8
Supreme Court Account 385 10 8
Trustees Relief Act 225 7 7
Estates of Deceased Soldiers 904 10 5
Native Reserves, Wellington 168 2 5
Dunedin Disputed Reserves 6,031 18 9
£24,431 2 2

Out of this sum the amount of £6,031 18s. 9d. was withdrawn from deposit and paid into the Public Account on the 3rd September, 1867. The Public Revenues Act was passed on the 10th October; only the balance therefore of the amount first mentioned was paid into the Public Trust Fund after the passing of the Act. This balance, amounting to £18,399 3s. 5d. was withdrawn from deposit and paid into the Public Trust Fund on the 3rd January, 1868.

2.Has this sum or any portion been paid out; also state under what authority?—The sum of £6,031 18s. 9d. was paid out of the Public Account on the 24th September, 1867. The authority quoted on the voucher for this payment refers to the written direction of the Colonial Treasurer; other sums comprised in the amount referred to (£24,431 2s. 2d.) have been paid out since that date, but it would take some time to prepare an exact statement of them.
3.Are you aware whether any requisition was sent from the Treasury to the Comptroller for the sum of £6,031 18s. 9d.?—A requisition for the sum of £6,031 18s. 9d. was made on the Comptroller when the amount was originally withdrawn from the Public Account for investment. I have also seen a requisition prepared in January or February, to cover issues of money from the Public Account prior to the 31st December, in which this sum was included, but was disallowed by the Comptroller. I am not aware whether any other requisition for this sum was made on the Comptroller, this branch of the Treasury business not being in my charge.

Mr. Woodward was recalled, and gave the following evidence:—

On the 29th June the deposit was made. On the 29th September it matured. The payment of the £6,031 18s. 9d. was made on the 24th out of the Colonial Treasurer's balance, and recouped on the 29th when the deposit matured. Mr. Batkin has been misled in stating that it was withdrawn on the 3rd. Mr. FitzGerald's statement that the total of £24,000 (in round numbers) was repaid in full to the Public Account is explained by the fact to which I alluded yesterday, that there was a further sum of £6,000 in the Deposit Account, which had been overlooked. The deposit was for three months.

Mr. FitzGerald recalled, and evidence read over to him.

By the Chairman.] Can you explain the discrepancy which appears between your statements and those of the Treasury Officers?—I can state positively that the sum of £24,431 2s. 2d. was withdrawn from the Public Account under the distinct assurance that it should not be operated on, but merely for the purpose of obtaining interest. I called on the Treasury to pay the whole sum into the Public Trust Fund, and was informed, generally, that it was paid in as soon as the deposit matured.

Mr. Woodward, who was present, stated that it was paid in as explained by him, by means of the £6,000 balance in hand; and the sum really paid in was less by £31 18s. 9d. than the original amount.

On motion of Mr. Carleton, Resolved, That the Chairman be directed to make an abstract of the evidence, also of the circumstances under which the Bill of last Session, introduced for the purpose of authorizing the payment of this sum, was lost.

On motion of Mr. Tancred, Resolved, That this Committee adjourn till Monday, the 24th August, at 10 o'clock a.m.