Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 7 in No. 5. — Mr. W. Wakefield to His Honor the Superintendent of the Southern Division of New Zealand

Enclosure 7 in No. 5.
Mr. W. Wakefield to His Honor the Superintendent of the Southern Division of New Zealand.

Petre, 8th May, 1844.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 2nd inst., acquainting me with the return to Wellington of Mr. Symonds, the officer charged by His Excellency the Governor to superintend and assist in the purchase of land for the projected settlement of New Edinburgh, in New Munster, in consequence of Mr. Tuckett, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, having directed some partial survey of the roadstead at Waikawaite, which the former did not consider himself authorized by your instructions to him to sanction by his presence, and enclosing copies of a correspondence between these gentlemen.

Whilst I regret exceedingly that any misunderstanding should have arisen which may oppose the accomplishment of the objects of the expedition for the acquisition of a suitable location for the proposed settlement, I do not think it necessary to advert to the subject of difference further than to express my conviction that Mr. Tuckett was conscientiously impressed with the importance of the steps he adopted in order to enable him to detail the comparative merits of the ports he visited, and bore in mind the express permission you gave verbally at the interview with which you favoured us on the eve of his sailing from Port Nicholson, that partial surveys of harbours might be made, provided the resident Natives did not object to them.

I have directed that a copy of the letter which Mr. Kelham addressed to Mr. Tuckett in my absence, on the propriety of his obtaining Mr. Symonds' express sanction to any operations he may consider requisite to determine the relative qualities of places before the work is proceeded with, if such necessity again arises, should be delivered to you, and I shall communicate to Mr. Tuckett my entire concurrence in the sentiments expressed in it.

Mr. Kelham is instructed by me, so soon as Mr. Tuckett has made his report of the site he may select for the settlement, to remit to him the amount of the purchase money of the land, or such goods as the Natives may desire of the same value, according to the information he may receive from Mr. Tuckett respecting the mode of payment preferred by them, and to acquaint you and Mr. Symonds with the arrangement he may make for me on behalf of the Company, with a view to the accomplishment of the desired object in a satisfactory manner to all parties.

I have, &c.,

W. Wakefilld.

His Honor the Superintendent,
Southern Division of New Zealand.