Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 6 in No. 5. — His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to Mr. W. Wakefield, Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company

Enclosure 6 in No. 5.
His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to Mr. W. Wakefield, Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company.

Wellington, 22nd May, 1844.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to transmit for your information a letter I received this morning from Mr. Symonds, the officer selected by His Excellency the Governor to superintend and assist in the acquisition of land by the New Zealand Company in New Munster, together with a correspondence which has taken place between him and Mr. Tuckett, the Agent appointed by you to. conduct the purchase, occasioned by the latter persisting in landing instruments for the alleged purpose of surveying the port of Waikawaite. As the Government representative considered the act of conducting the survey on shore, without giving him an opportunity of ascertaining if it was objectionable to the Natives, to be in direct opposition to the spirit of his instructions, he remonstrated with Mr. Tuckett on the impropriety of such a proceeding, which was so far disregarded, that he avowed his purpose of continuing the same system at "Otago," and every other port they might touch at Mr. Symonds, therefore, rather than sanction such measures by his presence, withdrew from the party and returned to Wellington.

As Mr. Tuckett will have completed his tour before it is possible he can receive any further instructions, the responsibility must rest upon him of any consequences that may result from carrying on measures so liable to misconstruction by the Natives, and which may probably frustrate the objects of his mission.

I conclude you will soon be made acquainted with the site the Company's Agent considers most eligible for the new settlement, when Mr. Symonds will be ready to comply with his instructions; but as the purchase must be complete before he can furnish his report to His Excellency, I would suggest that a sufficient sum of money be forwarded by the same vessel that conveys him, to enable the Company's Agent to affect this satisfactorily, which it appears, from Mr. Symond's letter, Mr. Tuckett is not at present in a position to accomplish.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

Wm. Wakefield, Esq.