Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 5 in No. 5. — Mr. F. Tuckett, Agent, New Zealand Company, to Mr. J. J. Symonds, P.M

Enclosure 5 in No. 5.
Mr. F. Tuckett, Agent, New Zealand Company, to Mr. J. J. Symonds, P.M.

Off Waikawaite, 22nd April, 1844.

Sir,—

In reply to your second letter of the 22nd instant, I beg to state that I disclaim having expressed any intention of acting in opposition to the wishes of His Honor the Superintendent of the Southern District, or of causing any survey of lands to be made here, or elsewhere, prior to the acquisition of such lands by purchase. Mr. Barnicoat was instructed by me to ask permission of the most competent and influential proprietor here to make a survey of this port and roadstead, and to acquaint you, in the event of his obtaining such permission, and then to execute such a survey.

He assures me that he strictly fulfilled these instructions, but that he was deterred from proceeding to execute a survey by your expression of unqualified disapprobation of such proceedings, page 99and your avowed determination to withdraw from this expedition (for the selection and acquisition of a district for the future settlement of New Edinburgh) in the event of his proceeding, to execute the survey already referred to.

As it will be my indispensable duty to give him similar instruction reference to the port of Otago, and all other ports which I may successively visit in prosecution of the objects of my present expedition, I can only express my sincere regret that our duties respectively should be so incompatible as to render it necessary for you to withdraw the further sanction of your presence.

I have, &c,

Frederick Tuckett,
Agent for. the New Zealand Company.

J. J. Symonds, Esq.