Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Enclosure 3 in No. 5. — Mr. J. J. Symonds, P.M., to the Agent of the New Zealand Company for New Edinburgh

Enclosure 3 in No. 5.
Mr. J. J. Symonds, P.M., to the Agent of the New Zealand Company for New Edinburgh.

"Deborah," off Waikawaite, 22nd April, 1844.

Sir,—

In answer to you letter of the 22nd April, in which you request that I will furnish you with the name of any proprietor or proprietors of land at Waikawaite on whose behalf I may have acted in thus prohibiting one of the objects of your present enterprise, I have the honor to enclose, for your information, a copy of a letter from His Honor the Superintendent of the Southern District, in which you will observe that it is clearly defined that no survey is to be proceeded with by the Agent of the New Zealand Company, or any one employed by him, until I am clearly satisfied that the land has been alienated by the aborigines, and purchased by him on behalf of the Company.

I have, &c.,

John Jermyn Symonds.

The Agent of N.Z. Company for New Edinburgh.