Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to His Excellency the Governor, &c., Auckland

His Honor M. Richmond, Superintendent, to His Excellency the Governor, &c., Auckland.

Wellington, 23rd May, 1844.

Sir,—

By the accompanying documents which I do myself the honor to forward, your Excellency will learn the reason of Mr. Symond's return to Wellington from New Munster, to which place I reported he had proceeded on the 2nd ultimo.

After transmitting the correspondence which passed between him and Mr. Tuckett to the Principal Agent of the New Zealand Company, and finding he had commissioned his brother, Mr. Daniel Wakefield, to proceed to the Middle Island prepared with funds to effect the acquisition of land for the Company, I directed Mr. Symonds to return with him by the schooner "Scotia," which sailed on the 21st inst., in order that every facility might be afforded in the negotiations for the purchase.

From the tone of the letter I received from the Company's Principal Agent, I was apprehensive that in his communications with Mr. Tuckett he might not have expressed himself in sufficiently strong terms on the impropriety of his proceedings so as to prevent a repetition of them; and it having like-wise come to my knowledge that an influential chief in the South had written to another, assenting to the sale of the land, but at the same time remarking, "that if the Pakehas did not make all straight, they had only to repeat the scene of the Wairau," I considered that Mr. Symonds should be furnished with more stringent directions to enable him at once to put a stop to any measure which he conceived was likely to bring on a collision with the aborigines, or create any serious misunderstanding between them and our countrymen.

A copy of these instructions I herewith enclose.

Previous to Mr. Symond's and Mr. D. Wakefield's departure, they had several interviews at my house, when I courted their putting any question to each or to me upon points on which either entertained the slighest doubt; and from the manner in which both appeared to understand the business, and the correct sense Mr. Wakefield seemed to take of Mr. Tuckett's conduct, I do not contemplate there will be any further misunderstanding or delay.

In relation to the new settlement, when the choice of sections are being made, it will be necessary to have an officer on the spot to select reserves for the Government and Natives; for this duty (should I not be previously instructed by your Excellency) it is my intention to appoint Mr. Symonds, whose local knowledge and experience as a surveyor qualifies him for the service.

I shall endeavour to furnish him with a list of what is required, in the event of my not learning in time what reserves your Excellency may consider necessary.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

His Excellency the Governor, Auckland.