Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 2. — Memorandum by the Hon. the Native Minister, recommending that Mr. James Mackay should take the necessary steps to place the Natives of Motupipi in possession of certain lands there

No. 2.
Memorandum by the Hon. the Native Minister, recommending that Mr. James Mackay should take the necessary steps to place the Natives of Motupipi in possession of certain lands there.

Mr. Mackay,—

The propositions in this Minute are entirely approved by me, and I request you will take the necessary steps for carrying them out, and communicating with the Trustees of the Nelson College on my behalf.

It would be a lasting disgrace to the Government if they failed to put these Natives in possession of lands which have been promised them as reserves by Mr. Ligar and Mr. McLean; and the patience with which they have waited ought to be an additional inducement to let the final arrangement be satisfactory to them.

I am very sensible of the friendly spirit in which the Superintendent and the College Governors have acted in the matter since the circumstances came to their knowledge, and it seems only necessary to instruct the Commissioners of Native Reserves accordingly.

F. D. Bell.

22nd February, 1863.