Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Correspondence Respecting the Boundaries of the Native Reserve at West Wanganui]

page 321

Correspondence Respecting the Boundaries of the Native Reserve at West Wanganui

Schedule.

No. of Series Date. Writer. To whom Addressed. Subject.
1 Feb. 12, 1862 Mr. James Mackny, junr. Native Secretary Reporting the discovery of an available gold field on Native lands in the district of Taitapu, West Coast, Province of Nelson, and the arrangements he had made with the Native owners for its occupation for gold-mining purposes; and enclosing the agreement to that effect entered into by them.
2 Mar. 5, 1862 Active Native Secretary Mr. James Mackay, junr. Acknowledging the above, and conveying the Governor's and the Government's high approbation of the skill and good judgment evinced in the steps that had been taken in the matter; and enclosing extract from the deed of cession of Taitapu, with plan annexed thereto.
3 Sept. 27,1862 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Native Secretary Referring to the above deed and plan, and explaining inaccuracies in the boundaries set forth in same, and suggesting their alteration in conformity with a sketch plan enclosed.
4 Feb. 24, 1863 Acting Native Secretary Mr. James Mackay, junr. Authorizing the boundaries of the Taitapu Reserve to be taken as described in the sketch plan above referred to.
5 April 16,1863 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Native Secretary Enclosing Account of Receipt and Expenditure of the Taitapu Gold Field, from 12th February, 1862, to 31st March, 1863, and explaining why balance of £63 had not been handed over to the Native owners.
6 July 9, 1863 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Native Secretary Reporting arrangements made with the Native owners relative to the balance of £63 referred to above, and enclosing three documents relative to same.
7 Sept. 29, 1863 Riwai Turangapeke Governor of New Zealand Regarding compensation for land ceded adjacent to the Taitapu Reserve.
Dec. 9, 1863 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Memorandum on Riwai Turangapeke's letter.
Dec. 5, 1863 Mr. Commissioner McLean Memorandum on Riwai Turangapeke's letter, recommending his claim.
8 Sept. 29, 1863 Riwai Turangapeke Governor of New Zealand Aking for a cart, plough, two oxen, and two cows, in discharge of the claim.
Dec. 9, 1863 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Memorandum of His Excellency the Governor's in-structions to him on the matter.
Dec. 9, 1863 Native Secretary Memorandum on Riwai Turangapeke's letter (No. 8).
Dec. 10, 1863 Colonial Secretary Memorandum authorizing the settlement of the matter.
9 Dec. 10, 1863 Mr. James Mackay, junr. Colonial Secretary Reporting that there is conclusive documentary evidence of the cession of the land in question.

No. 1.

Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 12th February, 1862.

Sir,-

I have the honor to inform you that an available gold field has been discovered on Native lands in the district of Taitapu, West Coast, Province of Nelson. This district commences at West Wanganui Harbour and terminates at Kauraugi Point. The whole of it was reserved for the use of the Natives, and is thus alluded to in Mr. McLean's report of the 7th April, 1856:-

"21. This deed provides that the land exhibited on the plan thereto attached shall be reserved for the Natives; it is, together with what they elsewhere possess, of sufficient extent for their present and future requirements, even if they have a considerable increase of cattle and horses; it is situated within natural boundaries, requiring no outlay for surveys, and lies on a part of the West Coast as yet remote from European settlers, but which the Natives were particularly anxious to retain. A Government right of road, should it in future be required, is provided for by a clause to that effect inserted in the deed:"

From the best evidence obtainable, it appears that the lands in question originally belonged to the Ngatitumatakokiri and Ngatipapa Tribes, who were conquered by the Ngatirarua and Ngatitama under Niho, Takerei, and Wiremu Te Kaihua. After the conquest the lands were divided between the Ngatirarua, Ngatiawa, and Ngatitama Tribes, the Ngatirarua retaining the largest portion. Since the reserve has been made, it has been generally considered to be held by Riwai Turangapeke for himself and others of the Ngatirarua Tribe. The Ngatitama claim is supposed to be given up, by the page 322Ngatirarua having relinquished any title they may have had to lands at Wakapuaka, which are held by a section of the Ngatitama. The only other owners beside the Ngatirarua are a few members of the Ngatiawa Tribe, who at present reside at Motupipi and Pariwhakaoho, and they are entitled to the valley of the River Turimawiwi.

In the middle of January last the Natives mentioned the discovery of gold at Ngatuihi, in the district of Taitapu, and then persuaded four Europeans to accompany them on a "prospecting" expedition to that place. On the 5th instant some of the Natives returned to Collingwood, reporting that gold had been found in considerable quantities,—that two men had procured one ounce in one day, without proper tools or appliances, and that several others had been more or less successful; in fact they seemed quite satisfied with the result of the "prospecting". This news immediately created a considerable amount of excitement among the European mining population at Aorere, and many expressed their intention to proceed to Taitapu for the purpose of mining for gold on the Native lands, or, in mining terms, desired to make "a rush" there. The Natives objected to this unless each man paid them for a license.

Seeing the probability of a serious misunderstanding arising, if Europeans were permitted to occupy the Native lands previous to some definite and binding arrangement being entered into with the owners thereof, I immediately issued notices cautioning Europeans from mining for gold within the district of Taitapu, and informing them that by occupying lands over which the Native title had not been extinguished, they would render themselves liable to a penalty of any sum not exceeding £100, or less than £5.

I at once proceeded to West Whanganui and had an interview with Riwai Turangapeke, and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri, son of the late chief Matenga Te Aupouri, and several other members of the Ngatirarua Tribe. They informed me that there was a large block of country which contained gold, and they were desirous that Europeans should be permitted to occupy it for gold-mining purposes. They also showed me an agreement which they had drawn up to that effect, the principal condition being that every person, European or Native, should pay a "license fee" of one pound per annum. I answered that I did not approve of entering into any such arrangement without orders and instructions from His Excellency the Administrator of the Government, and also that some of their terms appeared objectionable.

After a considerable amount of discussion, I requested Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri to accompany me to Collingwood, having determined to incur the responsibility of entering into an arrangement with them on behalf of themselves and others of the Ngatirarau Tribe, that is, if I found the European population still intended occupying the Native lands for the purpose of mining for gold thereon.

From information received from reliable sources, it appeared to be still the intention of the Europeans to make "a rush" to the newly discovered gold fields, and I considered it expedient, for the prevention of bad feeling and disputes between the two races, and for the preservation of order, to enter into an agreement with Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri, subject to the approval of His Excellency the Administrator of the Government, by which the European and Native miners would be permitted to occupy and mine on their lands at the Taitapu on condition that every person so mining or occupying should pay an annual license fee of £1. I do myself the honor to enclose herewith the agreement to that effect, which was entered into by them on the 10th instant.

I trust that, although feeling I have incurred a very grave responsibility by taking the Above steps, the extreme exigency of the case may be considered to atone for the same, and that His Excellency will kindly consider that, if some such amicable arrangement had not been immediately entered into, more serious evils might have ensued, and that if an error has been committed it has been unintentional on my part, and with a view of maintaining good feeling and understanding with the Natives. Requesting that instructions and full powers may at once be forwarded to me, if considered advisable,

I have, &c.,
James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.

Enclosure in No. 1.
Agreement with the Natives to permit Mining on the Reserve at West Whanganui.

This deed, executed on the 10th day of February, in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, is a full consent by us, the chiefs of the Ngatirarua Tribe, whose names are hereunto subscribed, and witnesseth that on behalf of ourselves, our relatives and descendants, by signing this deed under the shining sun of this day, we have given full consent unto Victoria, Queen of England, her heirs the Kings and Queens who may succeed her, and her and their assigns for ever, for the considerations hereinafter written, the right to permit all or any persons of the European or Native race to mine for gold on all that piece of our land in the Province of Nelson, and named Taitapu, a plan of which land is hereunto annexed. The considerations are as follows, viz.,-

That any person, European or Native, desiring to mine for gold, reside, or fell timber for gold-mining purposes on our lands situated at Taitapu, shall be the holder of a license.

That the sum payable for a license shall be £1 sterling.

That the holder of every such license shall be entitled to mine for gold, reside, or fell timber for gold mining purposes, on the Taitapu diggings, for the space of twelve months from the issue thereof.

That no person, European or Native, shall be permitted to remain on the land unless he be the holder of a license.

That all licenses shall be issued by an officer duly appointed by the Governor in that behalf, on payment of a fee of £1. All fees so received by this officer shall be held by him until demanded by us, when the whole amount is to be delivered to us. It will be for us to arrange the division of it among our relatives, children, or any other persons owning the Taitapu lands.

page 323

We also consent to carefully protect all Europeans and all Natives who may be engaged in mining on our lands; and if any offence shall be committed by either Europeans or Natives, we will aid the European Magistrates, and leave it to them to decide the case. The rules and regulations for the time being in force within the "Aorere Gold Fields" shall be in force within the "Taitapu Gold Fields;" and in case of any alteration in those rules or regulations at Aorere, the same shall be made at Taitapu, so that the rules and regulations shall at all times be the same as those in force at the "Aorere Gold Fields." We also consent that the Governor, or those whom he shall appoint in that behalf, shall have power to make other rules or regulations for the "Taitapu Gold Fields," if he or they shall at any future time deem it necessary to bring into operation any such new rules or regulations.

In witness also of the consent of the Queen of England to her part of this agreement, the name of the Assistant Native Secretary is hereunto subscribed.

Riwai Turangapeke.

Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri.

James Mackay, Junr., Assistant Native Secretary.

Witness to the signatures:—

D. Johnston, junr., Clerk to R.M., Collingwood.

Thos. Stewart, Constable, Collingwood.

No. 2.

The Acting Native Secretary to Mr. J. Mackay, Junr., Assistant Native Secretary.

Native Secretary's Office, Auckland, 5th March, 1862.

Sir, —

I am desired by the Minister for Native Affairs to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 12th February, reporting the existence of a payable gold field on the Native Reserves at Taitapu, and forwarding the agreement entered, into by you on behalf of the Government with the Native proprietors of that reserve, for the carrying on of gold mining there.

In reply, I am desired to convey to you the entire approval of His Excellency and the Government, and to express to you the high sense they entertain of the skill and good judgment evinced by you in all the steps you have taken. It is with great satisfaction that the Government have learnt the willingness of the Natives to permit the peaceable pursuit of gold mining on their own land, and the promptitude with which you have met and provided for what might have been a great difficulty.

It does not appear that further powers are necessary to be sent you at this moment; and the Government rely entirely on your prudence and discretion in taking upon yourself any new responsibility that the exigencies of the case may hereafter require.

I take this opportunity of enclosing you an extract from the deed of cession of Taitapu, with the plan annexed, in order that you may have them for any reference that may become necessary.

I have, &c.,
., Esq., H. Halse,
Acting Native Secretary.

James Mackay, junr

Assistant Native Secretary, Collingwood.

Enclosure 1 in No. 2.
Extract from Mr. McLean's General Report on the Purchase of Land in the Province of
Nelson, dated 7th April, 1856.

This deed provides that the land exhibited on the plan thereto attached shall be reserved for the Natives; it is, together with what they elsewhere possess, of sufficient extent for their present and future requirements, even if they have a considerable increase of cattle and horses; it is situated within natural boundaries, requiring no outlay for surveys, and lies on a part of the West Coast as yet remote from European settlers; but which the Natives were particularly anxious to retain. A Government right of road, should it in future be required, is provided for by a clause to that effect inserted in the deed.

Enclosure 2 in No. 2.
Extract from Deed of Sale by Ngatirarua and Ngatitama Tribes, executed 10th and 13th November, 1855.

One place is excluded from this new sale, and reserved for our use; viz., the land beyond the Whanganui, commencing at Mangamangarakau; thence to the sea side at the Iwituaroa; thence inland to the first ridge of the hills which look eastward to the sea.

We agree that the Government shall have power to make roads through these reserves, for ourselves and for the European settlers.

No. 3.
Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood,27th September, 1862.

Sir,—

Referring to your letter of the 5th March last, enclosing an extract from the deed of cession of Native lands in the Middle Island, with the plan annexed thereto, I have the honor to inform you that the boundaries of the Taitapu Reserve as shown on that plan do not at all correspond with the position of the same on the ground, as described in the body of the deed. The southern boundary at Te Iwituaroa is erroneously placed north of the River Awaruatohu, instead of being south of it, at Kahurangi Point.

page 324

I do myself the honor to enclose a sketch plan, which indicates the position of the boundaries as described in the deed. The portion coloured yellow is also claimed by the Natives, they asserting it was arranged for the sea to be the boundary from the mouth of the River Mangamangarakau to the Iwituaroa Range at Kahurangi Point.

According to the Native version, the other boundaries are the Iwituaroa Range from Kahurangi Point to the watershed of the Whakamarama Range; thence along the latter to the source of the River Mangamangarakau; thence down that river to the sea.

The description in the deed is very vague, which may be attributed to the fact that, at the time of its execution, the district of Taitapu was comparatively unknown. The same also applies to the plan attached to it, which could not be accurate, as the land had not been surveyed, neither has it been to the present time. The tracing now forwarded is copied from a sketch map made by myself in 1857, and presented to the Provincial Government.

If it should be deemed advisable to adopt the boundaries as defined in the plan now forwarded, I have the honor to request that this intention may be communicated to me as early as possible, so as to prevent any misunderstanding arising with the Natives. There might be such in the event of the extension of the diggings, of which there seems every pros pect.

The accounts received from the Taitapu Gold Field may be considered as satisfactory, and new discoveries of auriferous country have been made. The number of persons at present engaged in gold mining may be estimated at thirty-five, principally Natives.

I have, &c.,
Jakes Mackay, Junr.

No. 4.
The Acting Native Secretary to Mr. James Mackay, Junr.

Native Office, Auckland, 24th February, 1863.

Sir,—

With further reference to your letter of the 27th September last, I am directed to inform you that, under the circumstances stated to the Native Minister, in a conversation held by you with him upon this subject, you are authorized to inform the Natives that the boundaries of the Taitapu Reserve will be taken as described in the sketch forwarded in your communication above referred to (a copy of which is now enclosed), and not as delineated on the original plan deposited in this office.

I have further to request that you will communicate the substance of this letter to the Waste Land Commissioner at Nelson, in order to prevent any difficulty hereafter arising with that Province.

I have, &c., H. Halse,
Acting Native Secretary

James Mackay, junr., Esq., Assistant Native Secretary,

Collingwood, Nelson.

No. 5.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 16th April, 1863.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith accounts showing the sums received and expended on account of the Taitapu Gold Field from the 12th February, 1862, to the 31st March, 1863.

You will observe that the sum of £93 has been collected during that period, and that £19 10s. has been paid to the Natives; £9 10s. to the Receiver of Land Revenue here; and £1 for printing licenses; making a total expenditure of £30, and leaving a balance of £63 on hand.

In the absence of any instructions on the subject, I have not deemed it advisable to mix up the accounts of moneys received from the Taitapu Gold Field with those of moneys received by me as Receiver of Land Revenue at the Nelson Gold Fields, as the latter is payable to the Province, and the: proceeds of mining licenses issued for the former are to be handed over to the Natives.

With reference to the balance in hand, £63, I have not considered it prudent to hand it over to Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga, in accordance with the agreement entered into with them on the 10th February, 1862, as they are disposed to act unfairly towards the other claimants to the Taitapu Reserve, especially those of the Ngatitama and Ngatiawa Tribes.

On the 10th and 11th days of September last, a meeting of the claimants was held at Collingwood, when I made certain proposals relative to the division of the money and lands between them. This was not carried at the time, but as I publicly announced my intention of holding the money until they could agree as to the division of it, and have since adhered to the terms then laid down, they are beginning to feel a little more desire to have the question finally settled; and I have no doubt it will eventually be amicably arranged.

I have, &c.,
James Mackay, Junr.,

No. 6.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 9th July, 1863.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 16th April last, respecting the Taitapu Reserve, I have the honor to inform you that tha whole of the influential men of the Ngatirarua were present at a meeting held at Collingwood on the 3rd and 4th instant, to consider certain proposals made to them by the Ngatikinohaku. I took advantage of that circumstance to bring forward the question as to the page 325partition of the lands forming the Taitapu Reserve, between the Natives of the Ngatirarua, Ngatitama, and Ngatiawa Tribes. The Ngatitama and Ngatiawa Tribes were well represented at the discussion.

I have much pleasure in informing you that after many stormy arguments on the 6th and 7th instant, I succeeded in finally arranging the question to the satisfaction of all concerned. The Ngatitama and Ngatiawa are to give up all claim to the moneys arising from gold-mining licenses; also, all claim to the land at Taitapu except as follows:—
1.The Ngatitama to have all their old cultivations extending along the coast from Kaukauawai to Te Wahi Ngaki, and the country for one mile inland from the back boundary of those cultivations.
2.The Ngatitama chiefs Wiremu Katene Te Manu and Paramene Haereiti are to have some land near Patu Rau, Which they formerly cultivated in common with the Ngatirarna.
3.The Ngatiawa of Pariwhakaho are to have all their old cultivations extending along the coast from Turimawiwi to Taumaro, and the country for one mile inland from the back boundary of those cultivations.

I made the Ngatirarua and Ngatitama, and Ngatirarua and Ngatiawa, sign documents setting forth the boundaries of their respective blocks. On concluding this I paid over to the Ngatirarua the sum of £63, being the balance of fees collected for gold-mining licenses from the 11th February, 1882, to the 31st March, 1863, taking the receipt of three of the chiefs for the amount.

This is a matter which has been long pending, and the termination cannot be looked on as other than satisfactory, especially as the Ngatirarua have all through expressed their determination not to admit the other tribes to the reserve.

I have, &c.,
James Mackat, Junr.,

Enclosure 1 in No. 6.
Names of Members of the Ngatirarua Tribe admitted to share in the Native Reserve at West Wanganui.

Ko ahau tenei ko Riwai Turangapeke e whakaae ana kia uru ki roto ki nga whenua i te Taitapu i te taha ki a Ngatirarua nga tangata kua oti nei o ratou ingoa te tuhi tuhi i raro, ara:

Ko Te Rore Pukekohatu, ko Te Wirihana Kauhata, ko Tireni Turangapeke, ko Te Wirihana Rauakitua, ko Henere Wiremi, ko Tamati Pirimona Marino, ko Peni Te Poa, ko Hemi Tana, ko Tiki Raruraru, ko Piripi Nga-ohe, ko Te Tahana Kauhata, ko Ihaka Pukeroa, ko Pirimona Matenga, ko Raniera Matenga, ko Te Herewine Pairata, ko Hakopa Hotu, ko Wiremu Katene Te Manu, ko Paramene Haereiti.

I tuhia i te whitu o nga ra o Hurae, 1863.

Riwai Turangapeke.

Kai titiro,—James Mackay, junr., Assistant Native Secretary.

7th July, 1863.

Enclosure 2 in No. 6.
Agreement between the Ngatirarua and the Ngatiawa respecting the Boundaries of the Land
allotted to the latter out of the Reserve at West Wanganui.

Hei Pukapuka whakaae tenei na matou na nga Rangatira me nga tangata o Ngatirarua, na ratou nga ingoa i mau i raro nei, mo nga rohe o nga whenua i a Eruera Tatana Te Keha ratou ko tona whanau i te Taitapa. Ka timata i tatahi i te awa o Turimawiwi haere tonu tatahi ki Taumaro; haere tonu ki uta ki te rohe o nga mahinga, haere tonu i kona kotahi maira (mile) ki uta; ka whati i kona ka haere tonu rite tonu te raina ki te rere o tae raina o tatahi ka te ki te awa o Turimawiwi, ka haere whakatai i roto i taua awa kotahi maira (mile) ka tae ki te puke onepu; ka haere tonu ki te moana ki te wahi i timata ai ka tutaki nga rohe ki kona.

A hei tohu hoki mo te whakaaetanga o nga tangata katoa me teua Eruera Tatana Te Keha ratou ko tona whanau, ki ana rohe, kua tuhia hoki o ratou ingoa ki raro i tenei te whitu o nga ra o Hurae, 1863.

Ngatirarua:

Riwai
Wirihana Rauakitua.
Pirimona Matenga.
Piripi Te Ngaohe.
Rore Pukekohatu.
Takarei Tuturau, tona x tohu.
Takarei Pairata, tona x tohu.
Aperahama Te Wheta, tona x tohu.
Pita Taitea, tona x tohu.
Paratene Kaipara, tona x tohu.
Heta, tona x tohu.

Ngatiawa:

Eruera Tatana Te Keha.
Hoani Tatana Te Keha.
Eruini Te Keha.

Witnesses to the above signatures:—

James Mackay, junr., Assistant Native Secretary.

Alexander Mackay, Settler, Collingwood.

D. Johnston, junr., Officer in Charge, H.M. Customs, Collingwood.

page 326

Enclosure. 3 in No. 6.
Agreement between the Ngatirarua and the Ngatitama respecting the Boundaries of the Land allotted to the latter out of the Reserves at West Wanganui.

Hei Pukapuka whakaae tenei na matou na nga rangitira me nga tangata o Ngatirarua, na ratou nga ingoa e mau i raro nei, mo nga rohe o nga whenua o Ngatitama i te Taitapu. Ka timata i tatahi i te awa o Kaukauawai, haere tonu i tatahi ki te Wahi Ngaki; haere tonu ki uta ki te rohe o nga mahinga tawhito; haere tonu i kona kotahi maira (mile) ki uta; ka whati i kona, haere tonu, rite tonu te raina ki te rere o te raina o tatahi ka tae ki te awa o Kaukauawai; haere tonu whakatai i roto i taua awa kotahi maira (mile) ki te rohe o nga mahinga tawhito; haere tonu ki tatahi, ki te wahi i timata ai; ka tutaki nga rohe ki kona.

A hei tohu hoki mo te whakaaetanga o nga tangata katoa o Ngatitama ki aua rohe, kua tuhia hoki o ratou ingoa ki raro i tenei ra i te whitu o nga ra o Hurae, 1863.

Ngatirarua:

Riwai Turangapeke.
Pirimona Matenga.
Wirihana Rauakitua.
Wirihana Kauhata.
Raniera Matenga.
Piripi Te Ngaohe.
Rore Pukekohatu.

Ngatitama:

Retimana Ngaparu.
Rameka Te Ketu.
Pene Wiremu Ngaparu.
Inia Ohau.
Takerei Tuturau tona x tohu.
Takarei Pairata tona x tohu.
Aperahama Te Wheta tona x tohu.
Pita Taitea tona x tohu.
Paratene Kaipara tona x tohu.
Heta tona x tohu.

Witnesses to the above signatures—

James Mackay, junr., Assistant Native Secretary, Collingwood.

Alexander Mackay, Settler, Collingwood.

D. Johnston, junr., Officer in Charge of H.M. Customs, Collingwood.

No. 7.

Riwai Turangapeke and another to His Excellency the Governor.

Friend the Governor,—

Auckland, 29th September, 1863.

This is my word to you; for the land asked for by Mr. McLean from me formerly when Arahaura was sold. He said, Give some land for the Governor; let this be your love to the Governor. I gave to him this land. He said it would be for the Governor to remember. Do you inquire of Mr. McLean. Toiere is the northern boundary; Mangamangarakau is the southern boundary.

If this matter is arranged by you and Mr. McLean let your love increase to me, because the whole of the Ngatirarua heard my word of consent to Mr. McLean. If you agree, do you write to me. My place is Taitapu, but Aorere is my dwelling-place.

This is another matter for your consideration—for your word to protect our. Island. My desire is that you should publish it in the Maori Messenger, that it may be seen by our relatives who are living in the Middle Island.

From your loving friends,

Riwai Turangapeke.

Rore Pukekohatu.

Memorandum on the above by Mr. James Mackay, Junr.

This subject was brought under the notice of His Excellency by Riwai personally, and I was instructed to write to Mr. McLean for his report. I wrote in accordance with the Governor's request, but received no answer.

On the 5th December I saw Mr. McLean, and brought the subject under his notice. He then attached the minute of that date.

Since my return to Nelson in October last, I have made inquiry as to whether Riwai actually gave a piece of land to the Government or not, and the Natives seem to be of opinion that he did not receive any compensation for his claim to the land in question. It appears that the block between Major Richmond's purchase at Pakawan and the large Native Reserve at Taitapu was cut off from the remainder of Mr. McLean's purchase by the above reserve at Taitapu, and Mr. McLean said to Riwai that he had better throw in that piece with the Arahura Block. The extent of the block thus given up is about 20,000 acres.

9th December, 1863.

James Mackay, Junr.

page 327

Memorandum by Mr. Commissioner Mclean.

I have some recollection of the circumstances referred to, and I believe that Riwai is entitled to some consideration in this matter. Riwai is one of the principal men of the Ngatirarua Tribe, who sold a large extent of land to the Government for a very small amount of purchase money.

5th December, 1863.

Donald McLean.

No. 8.

Extract from a Letter From Riwai Turangapeke to His Excellency the Governor.

Auckland, 29th. September, 1863.

This is a word of mine to you for the cart, the plough, the pair of oxen, and two cows that you should give them to me at once when we return to Nelson.

Do you complete it all.

From your loving friend,
Riwai Turangapeke.

Memorandum by Mr. James Mackay, Junr.

The cart, plough, pair of oxen, and two cows within mentioned are the compensation which Riwai asked for the land he gave to the Government near Wanganui, Nelson. His Excellency requested me to write to Mr. McLean, and at the same time inform Riwai that if Mr. McLean was favourable to this claim a present should be made to him.

9th December, 1863.

James Mackay, Junr.

Memorandum by the Native Secretary.

From the attached letter (29th September, 1863) it appears that the writer only asks for a cart, plough, pair of oxen, and two cows, in fulfilment of Mr. McLean's implied engagement.

9th December, 1863.

E. Shortland.

Memorandum by the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

If this will finally settle the matter and make good the Crown title to the 20,000 acres, let it be done. But let there be conclusive documentary evidence.

10th December, 1863.

William Fox.

No. 9.
Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Auckland, 10th December, 1863.

Sir,—

Referring to the application made by Riwai Turangapeke for compensation for certain lands near Wanganui, Nelson, formerly ceded to the Crown without payment, I have the honor to inform you that there is conclusive documentary evidence already in existence of the cession of the land in question, as it was included in the deed of conveyance, executed at Nelson on the 10th November, 1855, by Riwai Turangapeke, or Ngapoki, and others of the Ngatirarua Tribe.

I have, &c.,
James Mackay, Junr., Assistant Native Secretary.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,

(Native Department,) Auckland.

Memorandum.—Riwai Turangapeke was subsequently presented with a cart, plough, pair of oxen, and two cows, in fulfilment of Mr. McLean's implied engagement made at the final cession of the Ngatirarua claims in the Middle Island.

page 328