Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 7.]

No. 7.

Riwai Turangapeke and another to His Excellency the Governor.

Friend the Governor,—

Auckland, 29th September, 1863.

This is my word to you; for the land asked for by Mr. McLean from me formerly when Arahaura was sold. He said, Give some land for the Governor; let this be your love to the Governor. I gave to him this land. He said it would be for the Governor to remember. Do you inquire of Mr. McLean. Toiere is the northern boundary; Mangamangarakau is the southern boundary.

If this matter is arranged by you and Mr. McLean let your love increase to me, because the whole of the Ngatirarua heard my word of consent to Mr. McLean. If you agree, do you write to me. My place is Taitapu, but Aorere is my dwelling-place.

This is another matter for your consideration—for your word to protect our. Island. My desire is that you should publish it in the Maori Messenger, that it may be seen by our relatives who are living in the Middle Island.

From your loving friends,

Riwai Turangapeke.

Rore Pukekohatu.

Memorandum on the above by Mr. James Mackay, Junr.

This subject was brought under the notice of His Excellency by Riwai personally, and I was instructed to write to Mr. McLean for his report. I wrote in accordance with the Governor's request, but received no answer.

On the 5th December I saw Mr. McLean, and brought the subject under his notice. He then attached the minute of that date.

Since my return to Nelson in October last, I have made inquiry as to whether Riwai actually gave a piece of land to the Government or not, and the Natives seem to be of opinion that he did not receive any compensation for his claim to the land in question. It appears that the block between Major Richmond's purchase at Pakawan and the large Native Reserve at Taitapu was cut off from the remainder of Mr. McLean's purchase by the above reserve at Taitapu, and Mr. McLean said to Riwai that he had better throw in that piece with the Arahura Block. The extent of the block thus given up is about 20,000 acres.

9th December, 1863.

James Mackay, Junr.

page 327

Memorandum by Mr. Commissioner Mclean.

I have some recollection of the circumstances referred to, and I believe that Riwai is entitled to some consideration in this matter. Riwai is one of the principal men of the Ngatirarua Tribe, who sold a large extent of land to the Government for a very small amount of purchase money.

5th December, 1863.

Donald McLean.