Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Riwai Turangapeke and another to His Excellency the Governor

Riwai Turangapeke and another to His Excellency the Governor.

Friend the Governor,—

Auckland, 29th September, 1863.

This is my word to you; for the land asked for by Mr. McLean from me formerly when Arahaura was sold. He said, Give some land for the Governor; let this be your love to the Governor. I gave to him this land. He said it would be for the Governor to remember. Do you inquire of Mr. McLean. Toiere is the northern boundary; Mangamangarakau is the southern boundary.

If this matter is arranged by you and Mr. McLean let your love increase to me, because the whole of the Ngatirarua heard my word of consent to Mr. McLean. If you agree, do you write to me. My place is Taitapu, but Aorere is my dwelling-place.

This is another matter for your consideration—for your word to protect our. Island. My desire is that you should publish it in the Maori Messenger, that it may be seen by our relatives who are living in the Middle Island.

From your loving friends,

Riwai Turangapeke.

Rore Pukekohatu.